Daily lol

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
The first pitch my DD learned was a fastball, so I am always curious what happens when a pitcher has multiple pitches and one of them is NOT a fastball. Did she never learn how to throw a fastball? Did she forget how to throw one? Does she just choose never to throw it, or did she renamed it something else so people will not think she is lame?

My DD was taught a peel drop as her fastball. We use the term fastball and drop ball interchangeably.

The reality is its the pitch that's faster than her change up and goes downward with heavy topspin when she throws it correctly. When she throws it incorrectly she gets bullet spin on it. But hey she's 11 what are you gonna do.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I have never figured out how major league pitchers, with unlimited time and coaching, only have three pitches. Yet, 10YOA Suzy has six.

In college, my DD had basically two pitches...a fastball and a curve. She could also throw a curve drop, but the curve and curve drop are almost the same. She would change speed on her drop and drop curve. She kind of, sort of threw a curve, but it was more of a waste pitch than anything else.

IMHO, newbies think that if their DD's pitch breaks 1 out of 4 times, then the DD "has" that pitch. To truly "have" a pitch at the higher levels, the pitcher has to be able to make it move 9 out of 10 times, and she has to be able to place the ball in a specific location 95 out of a 100 times.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
Although I agree with Amanda, she actually said:
"it's about throwing 3 pitches very well, then having a couple others that serve as supporting actors"

My math comes up with 5 pitches total in that statement.

And BTW, does a screwball actually "move" like a drop or curve?
I think it is more of a perception pitch like a riseball

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
Although I agree with Amanda, she actually said:
"it's about throwing 3 pitches very well, then having a couple others that serve as supporting actors"

I like this. It is good to have 3 "go-to" pitches with 2 to mix the bag up; DD is best is keeping the batters off guard. I think her "go-to" pitches now are screw, change & off-speed curve. She can throw in curve/rise on a good day. LOL.

Feb 17, 2014
At the college level, how much do pitchers rely on a fastball?

I've assumed that at some point the fastball goes away because anyone can hit speed. Movement pitches take over and become the bread & butter. Young pitchers need the fastball because it is easiest to learn how to pitch throwing a fastball.

DD was at a camp in Jan, talking to a D1 pitching coach. This coach made the same point, have 2-3 great pitches. He talked about several of the big time D1 pitchers over that last few years, listing the pitches they through and fastball wasn't mentioned at all.

Jul 20, 2013
I'm exactly the opposite of prideful/boastful pitching parents. Watching their 10u kids get treated like the GOAT (when they're really not that great, no offense when you walk 5 in a row, then walk in 5 runs and it's 5 run rule, this goes on all game, and Mr. Coach thinks you're big tyne so he keeps you in and yells at the team post game for not playing good defense). I find it's always the Coach's Kid who is a pitcher who falls into this category for me unfortunately. I don't stereotype, when I make the connection I'm just, "Wow, surprise surprise."

In the mirror I see a miserable and bruised up dad catcher from DD's "drop" ball or laser fastballs to the shin at warmups from 30ft. Don't even get me started on the sling shot position at 20ft and going upper corners, almost lost my face.

At pitching practice last night they had a tiny 8 year old catch warm up with my almost 11 DD...I was like, "Dear God, no..." after a few zips (mostly good actually) and one that whipped by her face (no gear), pitching coach switched me in to catch. I like this PC, she teaches HE but she's really cool about not interfering or injecting her opinion at all. She's careful to not get DD confused and offers to let us do our own thing, but I have DD do everything with the team and PC lets me adjust DD as needed so it's all good.

I've renewed my fear of flying objects, you never feel so alive and awakened!

Me_and_my_big_mouth

witty softball quote
Sep 11, 2014
Pacific NW
I like this PC, she teaches HE but she's really cool about not interfering or injecting her opinion at all. She's careful to not get DD confused and offers to let us do our own thing, but I have DD do everything with the team and PC lets me adjust DD as needed so it's all good.

guess-why-im-here.jpg

Aww, I'm just playing. There have been poor experiences in the past with situation like this, so I'm ready for the warnings to show up. :)

Feb 17, 2015
normal IL
DD has 5
FB for a strike
FB for a ball
CU for a strike
CU for a ball
My favorite one is the one that floats down the middle and goes a long way into the outfield
Ha ha ha

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00