D3 pitching speed

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 14, 2021
Thank You! My daughter’s only in 8th grade- but I’m hearing so many messages about college. I want to make sure we’re on a realistic path for her goals. We have an org recruiting seminar coming up and this is a good baseline to have going in.

She wants to be an engineer and has been a Broadcom Masters national science fair semi finalist and is really into geeky stuff and softball.
My daughter chose a great D3 program over an offer at a struggling D1 program and one very good D2. She wasn't awed by the D1 facillities and giant campuses, so none of that mattered. What mattered is that she had a former TB teammate in a losing D1 program who started once in four years (senior day), another who finally found a home after two transfers, and a HS teammate at a big D1 school who has had a coaching change and only favors "power hitters." To their credit, at prospect camps, the D1 coaches were honest: they are there to win games and that means a total commitment in time and energy and...time again. It's brutal. My daughter is majoring in physics, studied in Rome for a semester, and has 20 team sisters who all seem happy and balanced. Her coach has been there for over 15 years and genuinely cares more about the girls than I can imagine any D1 coach caring. As a dad I couldn't be happier. The small amount of scholarship money available to most D1 softball players just isn't worth it unless softball is the primary reason for going to college IMHO. D3 softball has been awesome.

Nov 18, 2013
My daughter chose a great D3 program over an offer at a struggling D1 program and one very good D2. She wasn't awed by the D1 facillities and giant campuses, so none of that mattered. What mattered is that she had a former TB teammate in a losing D1 program who started once in four years (senior day), another who finally found a home after two transfers, and a HS teammate at a big D1 school who has had a coaching change and only favors "power hitters." To their credit, at prospect camps, the D1 coaches were honest: they are there to win games and that means a total commitment in time and energy and...time again. It's brutal. My daughter is majoring in physics, studied in Rome for a semester, and has 20 team sisters who all seem happy and balanced. Her coach has been there for over 15 years and genuinely cares more about the girls than I can imagine any D1 coach caring. As a dad I couldn't be happier. The small amount of scholarship money available to most D1 softball players just isn't worth it unless softball is the primary reason for going to college IMHO. D3 softball has been awesome.
From your Bethel post I assume we’re in the same area. I’m glad your DD landed at a school that’s such a good fit!

Nov 18, 2013
Most d3 pitchers throw 55-62. Successful ones hit their spots with movement most every time. Very successful ones hit their spots most times with movement and have a good change up. There are some that throw 64-65 but they are certainly the exception and most cannot stay at that speed for 7 innings. The fastest I have seen is 67 and that was only one pitcher.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Most D1 pitchers are actually in that same vicinity in terms of speed. There’s a pretty big drop in the speed of the lower half of P5’s and mid majors that aren’t on ESPN every week. Not to mention ESPN’s speeds aren’t real.

Nov 5, 2014
Most D1 pitchers are actually in that same vicinity in terms of speed. There’s a pretty big drop in the speed of the lower half of P5’s and mid majors that aren’t on ESPN every week. Not to mention ESPN’s speeds aren’t real.
Can back that up with what I saw today at a fall game between a lower half P5 and a pretty good mid major. I was standing just behind the assistant coach and player for one of the teams who were gunning and charting pitches for both teams. #1 pitcher for the P5 was cruising at 63 #1 for the Mid Major was 62 with a devastating change up(this kid was conference pitcher of the year last year) #2 for mid major was 56 also with a very good change up. #3 for P5 was 57. Two other pitchers were both 61-62

Sep 22, 2021
Sioux Falls, SD
It still blows my mind that that the baselilne still lives around 60...When you see strong 12-14 year olds hitting 55-60, and that reality in speed growth past that, starts to taper off quickly. I understand hitting spots, changing speeds, etc. but that ceiling for the majority of pitchers sits around 60 to low 60's.

May 27, 2013
It still blows my mind that that the baselilne still lives around 60...When you see strong 12-14 year olds hitting 55-60, and that reality in speed growth past that, starts to taper off quickly. I understand hitting spots, changing speeds, etc. but that ceiling for the majority of pitchers sits around 60 to low 60's.
I think the elite that cruise upper 60’s in college were also the unicorns that were cruising in the mid-60’s in HS. For the rest, 60 still seems to be the cruising speed that most D1’s are willing to work with if there is good spin and a great off-speed pitch. And obviously going by this thread, upper 50’s get recruited by D1’s, as well.

Feb 6, 2020
I'm curious what be avg cruising speed for NAIA? From what has been said so far, I'm guessing upper 50s?

Mar 8, 2016
I have not seen as much NAIA as I have the other divisions. Based on my experience in the Mid-Atlantic schools they have the same wide range of teams as the other divisions. There are NAIA schools that are happy to have anyone come out all the way up to schools that would complete against good d2/d3 schools.

Mar 8, 2016
The important thing to remember is depending on the priority your dd gives softball and playing time. There is a school for every girl who has put on a glove.
IMHO, the priorities should be:
1. Economics
2. Education
3. Other factors (school location, size, etc al)
4. Softball

Other key factors

Would your dd be happy at this school if softball went away?
Does the coach want you? You will be competing against a lot of girls for a spot on the field. On a lot of teams 11-12 girls get most of the playing time. Few teams give more than 15 girls significant playing time after the early season tournaments. If coach really likes you and wants you, it gives you a head start on the other 5-12 girls that come in with her. After that, she must produce but you can't produce if you don't get the opportunity.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi