D3 pitching speed

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 12, 2018
Does anyone know the pitching velocity required to be considered for a high academic division 3 school?

Feb 10, 2018
NoVA
My DD just committed to a high-academic D3. I think the cruising speed range you will find is mid-50s to low 60s (61/62). This is basically the range I have seen in most regional-level travel ball. My DD is toward the lower end of that range.

Mar 8, 2016
Most d3 pitchers throw 55-62. Successful ones hit their spots with movement most every time. Very successful ones hit their spots most times with movement and have a good change up. There are some that throw 64-65 but they are certainly the exception and most cannot stay at that speed for 7 innings. The fastest I have seen is 67 and that was only one pitcher.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
After watching my older daughter's freshman year, I will say 60 is rarified air at a lot of schools. The best pitcher we faced lived at 60-61, and she was at a high academic school. She was, however, the exception rather than the rule. Most other pitchers they saw were in the 54-57 range.

A local girl just committed to Swarthmore, in PA. She's a nice pitcher with good control, but she maxes out at 58-59. Another local girl is in her freshman year at Williams. She can hit 62, but she doesn't live there. I would estimate her cruising speed at 59-61.

Remember, speed isn't everything. 63 and flat gets hit a long way.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Most d3 pitchers throw 55-62. Successful ones hit their spots with movement most every time. Very successful ones hit their spots most times with movement and have a good change up. There are some that throw 64-65 but they are certainly the exception and most cannot stay at that speed for 7 innings. The fastest I have seen is 67 and that was only one pitcher.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
This is the answer.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
Does anyone know the pitching velocity required to be considered for a high academic division 3 school?
Tjmate - There is NO velocity requirement to be considered for a high academic DIII...maybe at some specific schools the Coach thows out an expectation but it's not consistent and it's not everywhere. Results matter. DD is cruising with her fastball and drop between 58 -63. She's still gaining speed (and it's her Sr year) bit it's the spin, location and change of speeds along with a good pitching sequence that have helped her most. We've seen a lot of the high academic teams (along with some not so high academic schools) in DIII and there are many pitchers out there leading their teams while throwing low to mid 50's. All these 12U and 14U flamethrowers hitting 60+ better hit the books if they want to attend a high academic school.

Jan 20, 2023
I’m curious where do the high academic D3 pitchers come from? Is a good regional team enough - or do they come from national teams?

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
I’m curious where do the high academic D3 pitchers come from? Is a good regional team enough - or do they come from national teams?
The girls I referenced were both from the same organization. They used to have National teams that produced P5 players, but they've fallen off in recent years to more of a regional team type of organization. Their recent D1 recruits are all in the CAA and Patriot League. The last P5 player they produced is a senior at Mizzou.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles