D3 pitching speed

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 20, 2023
Thank You! My daughter’s only in 8th grade- but I’m hearing so many messages about college. I want to make sure we’re on a realistic path for her goals. We have an org recruiting seminar coming up and this is a good baseline to have going in.

She wants to be an engineer and has been a Broadcom Masters national science fair semi finalist and is really into geeky stuff and softball.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
I’m curious where do the high academic D3 pitchers come from? Is a good regional team enough - or do they come from national teams?
There are plenty of National teams that produce players going to all divisions. You don't have to play for the big franchise teams either. Just gotta be on one of those teams that plays in those tourneys against those teams. D3 players around here come from all levels of teams. DD had some teammates that played on teams I have never heard of. The Hittin' Kittens or something close to that! Keep in mind there are some D3 teams that are begging for pitching and there are others that can afford to be picky. Look at Massey Ratings and you will see pretty quick where these teams stack up.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
There are plenty of National teams that produce players going to all divisions. You don't have to play for the big franchise teams either. Just gotta be on one of those teams that plays in those tourneys against those teams. D3 players around here come from all levels of teams. DD had some teammates that played on teams I have never heard of. The Hittin' Kittens or something close to that! Keep in mind there are some D3 teams that are begging for pitching and there are others that can afford to be picky. Look at Massey Ratings and you will see pretty quick where these teams stack up.
Agreed. In TB my DD's had teammates (from what was mainly a regional org) that went in all different directions and levels although most ended up not even playing in college. My twin's DIII college (considered "high academic") team has players from all over the states and from all types of orgs so I wouldn't be too quick to generalize. They made it to the NCAA DIII Tourney for the first time in program history last season to most people's surprise.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Agreed. In TB my DD's had teammates (from what was mainly a regional org) that went in all different directions and levels although most ended up not even playing in college. My twin's DIII college (considered "high academic") team has players from all over the states and from all types of orgs so I wouldn't be too quick to generalize. They made it to the NCAA DIII Tourney for the first time in program history last season to most people's surprise.
Remember my DD's 16U team played your DD's team in Austin? If I remember from GC, you beat us.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
This is such an important thread for the realistic speed ranges.

I think a lot of people think it's 60+ or bust to pitch in college, and that simply isn't true if you're willing to consider schools that don't play on ESPN.

I don't think people realize how many young athletes give up on themselves (or they get all in their heads in an effort to improve) because they think they aren't good enough just because they don't compare to the 14 year old who's throwing 65. We need this information to get out there, especially when those inevitable "average pitching speed" posts pop up that would make you think all these D3 schools have pitchers who are no better than the average 12u player.

May 27, 2013
Agree with Tatonka - for the high academic schools, it’s about the academics first and does the player have the grades and test scores to get in. Next comes the softball talent.

My dd, who currently attends a high academic D3, played for a very good regional team. How she got on the high academic schools’ radars was she had emailed several of them and attended the High Academic Camp at the Pennsbury Invitational. Her team also played on the main fields at that showcase and NE Finest where many of the high academic coaches attend. They also saw her down at D9 in Florida when they played at WWOS.

As far as pitching speed - we would see anywhere from mid-50’s to about 60 cruising speed, and occasionally a top speed that I would best guess was about 62, but that was very rare. I would say the majority of the teams in my DD’s conference had one pitcher that was consistently upper 50’s - and we did face the Williams pitcher last year who was hitting low 60’s. I’d say what hurt hitters most was that she threw a very good rise and if she was on with that pitch, she was very tough to hit. She’ll have a great career in the NESCAC conference.

I do have to say, though, that we are seeing more and more SB talent coming into the high academic D3 arena.

Jul 12, 2018
This thread has been so helpful. My DD is 14 and pitches in the low 50s but she matured late and I think likely still has a ways to grow. She has an excellent change up and command of her pitches. It’s nice to know there’s a chance for her depending on how she develops.

Apr 8, 2019
Tjmate - There is NO velocity requirement to be considered for a high academic DIII...maybe at some specific schools the Coach thows out an expectation but it's not consistent and it's not everywhere. Results matter. DD is cruising with her fastball and drop between 58 -63. She's still gaining speed (and it's her Sr year) bit it's the spin, location and change of speeds along with a good pitching sequence that have helped her most. We've seen a lot of the high academic teams (along with some not so high academic schools) in DIII and there are many pitchers out there leading their teams while throwing low to mid 50's. All these 12U and 14U flamethrowers hitting 60+ better hit the books if they want to attend a high academic school.
I would even go so far as to suggest that there are no velocity requirements to play any level. My DD plays with a kid who couldn't hit 60 on her best day, but she recently signed with a P5 school (albeit a less prestigious one) She hits her spots and has great spin. She keeps hitters of balance and gets outs.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
This thread has been so helpful. My DD is 14 and pitches in the low 50s but she matured late and I think likely still has a ways to grow. She has an excellent change up and command of her pitches. It’s nice to know there’s a chance for her depending on how she develops.
If you DD keeps pitching and wants to play in college, there is VERY high chance that it will happen. There are many that quit along the way and decide this is not what they want. She has to really really want to do it and find fun in doing it. It's a game of survival and the last ones standing will find a place.

I mentioned in a previous post that I was totally surprised that one of DD's former 14U teammates found her way to a college program and she was THE LAST person among DD's former teammates that would play in college. She proved me wrong and found a good fit for her.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drid