Cutting players who tryout for other teams

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 31, 2018
Allen TX
We have similar situation. Player A is unhappy with playing time. They haven't said it directly to me, but I can tell, and parents talk about it in stands. Other parents have verified it. Another Coach called the other day and let me know that Player A attended an Open Practice with his team. Now I have to decide if I let it play out (they will almost 100% leave), or if I avoid drama during next tourney and cut her now and move on.

Jul 22, 2015
We have similar situation. Player A is unhappy with playing time. They haven't said it directly to me, but I can tell, and parents talk about it in stands. Other parents have verified it. Another Coach called the other day and let me know that Player A attended an Open Practice with his team. Now I have to decide if I let it play out (they will almost 100% leave), or if I avoid drama during next tourney and cut her now and move on.
If they're talking to other parents and spreading negativity it's time for them to go. That's not meant to be vindictive or harsh, it's just not something you need around the team. Keep it simple, tell them it's not working out for either of you and they need to move on.

Feb 20, 2020

No offense, but isn't there a contract for the season and money having exchanged hands? Can you really just cut a player who has paid for the season for thinking about playing for another team next year?

Top_Notch

Screwball
Dec 18, 2014
The travel softball world is very small. DD did a "private" tryout for another team and before she was even complete with the tryout I was getting texts from friends about it. Frankly, I was quite impressed as I'm not even sure how they found out.

The news made it to coach and ultimately the writing was on the wall.

Feb 3, 2016
Some parents will pay for a kid to be on multiple teams in a season and the cost isn't an issue.

I've pro-rated the cost and helped people leaving before. Usually the fine print leaves people with little recourse if the coach or organization is pushed to a certain point.

I'm sure a coach that doesn't want a kid will manufacture a senerio where you'll get nothing if leaving or being cut. Read the contract!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

May 31, 2018
Allen TX
No offense, but isn't there a contract for the season and money having exchanged hands? Can you really just cut a player who has paid for the season for thinking about playing for another team next year?

Yes and no. As someone mentioned earlier, our season is August 1st - July 31st basically. They are looking at jumping ship halfway (actually less) through. We do monthly dues, so that is not an issue. I would never typically cut a girl part way through (never have). This is a girl I selected. However, I expect them to be committed. If it is not a good fit, and they want to leave, that is ok. I just don’t want them causing any drama on the way out. If I control the exit, it might avoid some of that.

Mar 28, 2014
Yes and no. As someone mentioned earlier, our season is August 1st - July 31st basically. They are looking at jumping ship halfway (actually less) through. We do monthly dues, so that is not an issue. I would never typically cut a girl part way through (never have). This is a girl I selected. However, I expect them to be committed. If it is not a good fit, and they want to leave, that is ok. I just don’t want them causing any drama on the way out. If I control the exit, it might avoid some of that.
Ah heck I can't take it no more. This isn't life or death, this is freaking girls softball. Let it play out however it plays out. No need to cut a girl. Not like you're running a major league team.

Nov 22, 2019
12-U and up sounds pretty cut throat. Do players ever leave teams and come back, or once you’re gone from an organization you’re gone?

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
If you are trying out for another team, your current team isn't making it . if you are the Number 1 pitcher they should re-evaluate what's going on instead of cutting you. Go and spread your wings, the old team isn't going anywhere.

Feb 3, 2016
12-U and up sounds pretty cut throat. Do players ever leave teams and come back, or once you’re gone from an organization you’re gone?
I've witnessed it. If you leave under good terms teams will take you back if the kid can play.
For people joining a new team or the next team....Everyone on this site can probably relate to the following.

"It's like when going on vacation and you get all kinds of upgrades on the flight you're taking. Heck you might get the 1st class treatment.
Seating arrangements are ideal and the trip is looking up.

The flight might have some turbulence but with the wheels up you're committed to the flight.
How the rest of the flight goes including the landing is TBD.
It can be the best trip ever or it can be a disaster.

Enjoy your time with the other passengers and try not to get into an emergency landing situations.
Depending on how you handled the trip it maybe a one way ticket."

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smallsize1516