Cutting players who tryout for other teams

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Last fall, my DD was with a high-level team of one of the big orgs. When I told the HC that my DD needed to have a conversation with him, his response was "If she's looking at moving to another team, don't bother. Just go." Basically, either you're 100% committed, or you're not. If you're not, you're wasting time and effort that could be given to committed players.

Nov 22, 2019
Last fall, my DD was with a high-level team of one of the big orgs. When I told the HC that my DD needed to have a conversation with him, his response was "If she's looking at moving to another team, don't bother. Just go." Basically, either you're 100% committed, or you're not. If you're not, you're wasting time and effort that could be given to committed players.

I’m curious though, are the teams committed to the players? There are several good teams advertising for players, boasting of their records. One organization says private tryouts at all ages. Do the teams look to churn the bottoms of their rosters, and if so starting at what age?

Reactions: #10
Oct 4, 2018
It would have been towards the end of the fall season I'm guessing.

In our neck of the woods there's just one season -- the year.

Because Fall is largely High School and Feeder programs, the travel teams get perhaps 3-4 tourneys in Oct/Nov before we shut down for winter. If you're trying out in Nov something ain't cool. Plus you just committed with the last month and shelled out for unis and dues and such. I know commitments perhaps don't mean much to some, but if you tell the coach you're in for the year and really aren't? Not all that cool.*

* Certain exceptions apply (abuse, you were lied to, team crumbled, etc.)

May 7, 2015
SoCal
I’m curious though, are the teams committed to the players? There are several good teams advertising for players, boasting of their records. One organization says private tryouts at all ages. Do the teams look to churn the bottoms of their rosters, and if so starting at what age?

In my experience, if a team is focused on success, it can only be committed to the team, not an individual player. If a team is committed to keeping a group of girls together and success, then that's fine too. There's a whole spectrum of teams out there, that's why the overwhelming bit of advice is always, "find the team that fits what you want"

It only becomes a problem when one party (the family) thinks one thing and the other (the team) thinks another.

Oct 4, 2018

Was she looking at moving to another team? Or did she just want to discuss her batting gloves or something? :D

Reactions: #10
Apr 28, 2014
Softball world is small. At 12u not many understand that yet. This is not like a job interview. Coaches that this stuff seriously right or wrong. I do agree that if a kid is trying out she probably is looking to go.
Last thing any team needs is drama.

Oct 4, 2018
Softball world is small. At 12u not many understand that yet. This is not like a job interview. Coaches that this stuff seriously right or wrong. I do agree that if a kid is trying out she probably is looking to go.
Last thing any team needs is drama.

Honestly the number 1 lesson parents need to know is the softball world is very small. I've seen plenty of 10U and 12U parents be jerks and are now blackballed on a dozen or more teams.

May 24, 2013
So Cal

In our experience with this particular team, the coaches are very committed to helping their players get to college programs, and they put in a LOT of effort. However, it's a very regimented and demanding program that isn't a fit for everyone, and not all players/parents agree with the direction the coaches see for the player. As such, there is a pretty high turnover rate. Some of it is moving players up to their 18U program when they've aged up or committed. Some of it is players deciding it isn't the team for them (we were one of them). There's AWLAYS a long line of players at their tryouts.

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
Was she looking at moving to another team? Or did she just want to discuss her batting gloves or something? :D

No. She was quitting the game (turned out to be a temporary break, thankfully). It was the right thing for her to tell HC in person, and thank him for the opportunity with the team. HC was kind and understanding, and welcomed her back, if that was something she wanted in the future.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd