Cut off to home plate

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 12, 2010
Can anyone see a potential problem with having the 1B cut off all throws to home? I've tried it, and the 1B has no problem getting over to the third base side of the circle. The Pitcher is free to back up between 3rd base and home wherever she is needed. Right fielder will sneak in behind any runners that may stay at first base.
The reason I started doing this is my 3B was having trouble figuring out whether she should be covering 3rd or cutting off for home on gappers. On her defense there is not a whole lot of time to decide if a runner is going to be sliding into 3rd or rounding 3rd to go home.

Any thoughts?

Jan 15, 2009
1B can handle it. I prefer pitcher, but it depends on who you have for athletes. 3B guards the bag. That way whether it's a throw straight to third ahead of the runner, or a throw to third from the cut off on a retreating runner, someone is there. In case there is a cut.

Problem with 1B always cut to home is on right field hits with runner on 2B or 3B. Depending on speed of lead runner, only play might be to hold the batter to a single and or throw out an agressive batter. If pitcher cuts ball coming from RF then 1B can stay home in the event that the play is to get the out on a retreating runner who rounded first.

Jan 13, 2009
Our first baseman also handles all cut offs. Picher backs up third or home as appropriate.

Given a runner on third, we would throw to second to prevent batter extra bases (limit to a single) and keep the runner on third wary of a throw home. We don't typically throw to catch an agressive rounding with runners in scoring position because throwing behind the runner on first in that situation can lead to a pickle with a greater chance of runners scoring from third.

That being said, I am a big fan of catching a runner rounding bases. With a runner on first and a batter thrown out at first, I like my first baseman to make that automatic throw to two to make the tag.

hen

Dec 1, 2010
Just to play devil's advocate, why not entrust your middle infield to cutoff balls? You did put your shortstop there because she is arguably one of the top 2 atheletes on the field and probably has the best hands and quickest feet. Aren't those traits you want when a making a quick relay or an abrupt change of direction to get another runner? What is she doing otherwise if 1B is taking the cut?

Oct 18, 2009
Just to play devil's advocate, why not entrust your middle infield to cutoff balls? You did put your shortstop there because she is arguably one of the top 2 atheletes on the field and probably has the best hands and quickest feet. Aren't those traits you want when a making a quick relay or an abrupt change of direction to get another runner? What is she doing otherwise if 1B is taking the cut?

Our middle infielders are the cut if the ball is over the outfielders heads. If its in front of the outfielders the 1b is the cut. The middle infielders are usually too close to the outfielders for a cut home in that scenario.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England

Assuming that the ball was hit to the OF, either the SS or 2B should be headed toward the OF - either to try to make the initial play on the ball or to go out to get in position for a cut off - while the other middle IF should cover 2B. The cut off options for the throw to the plate are then limited to corner IFs and P. I like the 1B as the cut for the 95% of the plays that don't involve a sharply hit ball down the LF line (when the 3B is the only one w/ time to get lined up quickly) w/ the P backing up 3B or home as applicable. If the ball is not to RF, the RF is available to back up 2B or sneak in behind the batter/runner at 1B as play dictates.

hen

Dec 1, 2010
Thanks for playing along, and I think it's worthwhile to note that the cutoff should be used more to cut off an offline throw or catch an advancing back runner than the default person the outfielder aims for. Out of curiosity, what's the reason why no one (including me) uses the pitcher as the cut? She's usually more athletic and probably in the best position to take the cut from any field. I could always send someone else to cover if that's the only reason...

Oct 18, 2009
Thanks for playing along, and I think it's worthwhile to note that the cutoff should be used more to cut off an offline throw or catch an advancing back runner than the default person the outfielder aims for. Out of curiosity, what's the reason why no one (including me) uses the pitcher as the cut? She's usually more athletic and probably in the best position to take the cut from any field. I could always send someone else to cover if that's the only reason...

IMHO it depends on the team really and I doubt there is one hard fast rule to always use as every team is made up differently. I know one team that uses their SS for all middle cuts from outfield because her arm is just so much better than the 2b. Some use the pitcher to cuts home as well and make someone else backup 3b or home. IME the pitcher is usually the most athletic in the younger age groups. As you get older it seems that they are the least. My DD's hitting coach (who is a college coach) went so far as to say bunt it so the pitcher can field it as they make the most errors throwing the ball to 1B.

In 10u LL, I know this one coach before a playoff game had his team practice throwing the ball to this one dominant player for every play not going to 1B and instructing her to run to the fielder and get the ball if they werent fast enough in getting rid of it. It was IMO a terrible way to practice to try and win a game but it didn't matter as that same girl struck out all 12 batters she faced in a 4 inning mercy.

Mar 11, 2009
1st baseman is cut on balls hit to RF and CF(1st baseman must recognize if there can be a play at one or at four prior to positioning themselves on the bag, or cut/relay position), 2nd baseman covers 1st base if ball is hit to right side and SS covers 2nd base, 3rd baseman stays home. On a ball hit to LF the 3rd baseman is cut, SS covers 3rd base, 2nd baseman covers 2nd base, 1st baseman stays home. We only use this with runner on 2nd base and less than two outs. Catcher tells cutoff to cut it, let it go or relay the throw. On balls hit over OF's heads or in gaps past OF our middle infielders cut/relay the ball.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13