Curt Schilling - really????

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 9, 2009
This really infuriates me.

I see a bunch of egotistical macho-males at ESPN thinking they have to bring in an "interpreter" for the average male-sports-consumed-drones that are the majority of ESPN viewership. Shame on their disrespect of the sport of softball.

Lol. Great thread. The "Bitch about Curt Schilling" thread is 9 pages and the actual WCWS thread is 4 pages.

We constantly complain about the lack of exposure for this game, then ESPN assigns one of the their more name-recognizable analysts to the game - to maybe help it gain some exposure - and that's "disrespect"ful to the game of softball. :rolleyes:

Are there probably 1000 people who could do a better job analyzing a softball game than Curt Schilling? Yeah. But not one of them would have brought a single new viewer to the game. Did Schilling? Who knows? But at least it's worth a shot. The only downside is listening to people who would be watching the game anyway bitch about him.

Also, anything, or anyone, that shuts Smith and Mendoza up for 5 seconds about what they would have done in that position is a good thing.

Dec 7, 2011
Lol. Great thread. The "Bitch about Curt Schilling" thread is 9 pages and the actual WCWS thread is 4 pages.

We constantly complain about the lack of exposure for this game, then ESPN assigns one of the their more name-recognizable analysts to the game - to maybe help it gain some exposure - and that's "disrespect"ful to the game of softball. :rolleyes:

Are there probably 1000 people who could do a better job analyzing a softball game than Curt Schilling? Yeah. But not one of them would have brought a single new viewer to the game. Did Schilling? Who knows? But at least it's worth a shot. The only downside is listening to people who would be watching the game anyway bitch about him.

Also, anything, or anyone, that shuts Smith and Mendoza up for 5 seconds about what they would have done in that position is a good thing.

C'mon we aint talking Johnny Carson here, or for you younger folks Ryan Seacrest.... You really think people heard that THE INCREDIBLE CURT SCHILLING was going to announce in advance of the game and people rushed to social medi-ize this to all their friends and it double the viewership....? C'mon - yer missing the underlying story here.

Feb 7, 2013
Where's Amanda Scarborough when you need her? Her articulate, well thought out commentary is a breath of fresh air. You can tell she works very hard at her craft.

Jan 20, 2011
If Schilling really bothers you guys, turn the sound down go to your computer and pull up the audio on westwood 1.

Amico does a great job. By the way, both she and Schilling were right about playing the outfield in to prevent what Stuart just did.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
If Schilling really bothers you guys, turn the sound down go to your computer and pull up the audio on westwood 1.

Amico does a great job. By the way, both she and Schilling were right about playing the outfield in to prevent what Stuart just did.

Wouldn't the say reasoning apply if one were tired of the Schilling comments? LOL Also, had Amico's ball hit off the warning track with the outfield called in, the criticism would have been that the outfield was in when it should have been out. Come on, just how deep is that field and shouldn't standard positioning enable an OF to catch pretty much all balls but that one that fell in? That has been my experience. There are little "triangles" where a ball fought off can fall in between various OFs and IFs. Good defenses catch the rest.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
If our comments about Espn having Schilling really bothers you guys then turn off the computer, discuss fastpitch, and turn up the volume on Espn.

Mar 20, 2014
Northwest
He is truly ridiculous! He doesn't even know what he is talking about! The only time he talks is to ask Michelle a stupid question. "What could they be talking about on the mound?" Seriously? They are discussing shoes and the cute guy in the stands. Idiot.

Jan 20, 2011
Wouldn't the say reasoning apply if one were tired of the Schilling comments? LOL Also, had Amico's ball hit off the warning track with the outfield called in, the criticism would have been that the outfield was in when it should have been out. Come on, just how deep is that field and shouldn't standard positioning enable an OF to catch pretty much all balls but that one that fell in? That has been my experience. There are little "triangles" where a ball fought off can fall in between various OFs and IFs. Good defenses catch the rest.

Not sure if I understand your observation. Amico is an announcer. If you were referring to K.Stuart,.... based on where they pitched her and what she's been doing the last 4 games I thought it was a good suggestion. Heck, Walton even said she's trying to get it all back with one swing. I think they made good observations.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1