Curt Schilling - really????

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 20, 2014
Northwest
He is truly ridiculous! He doesn't even know what he is talking about! The only time he talks is to ask Michelle a stupid question. "What could they be talking about on the mound?" Seriously? They are discussing shoes and the cute guy in the stands. Idiot.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Not sure if I understand your observation. Amico is an announcer. If you were referring to K.Stuart,.... based on where they pitched her and what she's been doing the last 4 games I thought it was a good suggestion. Heck, Walton even said she's trying to get it all back with one swing. I think they made good observations.

I was reading your quote and so, transposed names. Regardless, the point was that most teams play a standard depth per their defensive speed. In most cases, their still remains these triangle areas on the field that can't be covered unless one gives up the power gaps and anything medium to deep. In my experience, most of the teams I've seen take the hit away like that get burned a large percentage of the time. However, that is just my observation.

Last edited:
May 6, 2014
Low and outside
Jeez ... think about the baseball players watching saying "Schilling is announcing? Maybe I should watch this stuff."

More like "Thank God we can watch baseball knowing that Schilling is off doing softball somewhere." The man is unlistenable. If people watched baseball games based on the announcers, the Giants would have the highest viewership in baseball (Jon Miller). I wonder how much softball viewers would appreciate Schilling making weird jokes about his sex life:

Curt Schilling: "Ask My Wife ... Not Pleasurable But Consistent"

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
He won me over when he asked about how the umps are selected...."so Uh...Jessica, where do you get these morons to call the game, the OKC drunk tank?" i'm paraphrasing of course but that is what he meant....

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
The only time he talks is to ask Michelle a stupid question. "What could they be talking about on the mound?" Seriously? They are discussing shoes and the cute guy in the stands. Idiot.

I didn't recall him saying 'What could they be talking about?' as if he had no idea. I interpreted it as him saying, 'Hey, Michele, you've been in this situation, you're the expert, you're actually a softball pitcher, unlike me, and unlike baseball, the whole infield is in this pow-wow, what's do you think they're saying? Is it strategy? Is it just more about maintaining the right frame of mind? Keeping everybody focused?' Schilling's role was partly that of a fan, a baseball guy, the one watching the WCWS that you're trying to attract as a fan of the sport, grow the game, etc. That's what that kind of fan might be thinking. You could view the question as idiotic, but also as deferring to the expert, kinda humble like.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
What you probably don't know was Curt was announcing hurt doing the WCWS...
c01_sline_bloodysock_19_53674703.jpg

He kept up a brave face.

Dec 19, 2012
He is truly ridiculous! He doesn't even know what he is talking about! The only time he talks is to ask Michelle a stupid question. "What could they be talking about on the mound?" Seriously? They are discussing shoes and the cute guy in the stands. Idiot.

Instead of acting like some kind of "macho man know-it-all", Curt was doing the right thing in asking leading questions that Smith and Mendozza would.....and should answer. While the leading questions might sould idiotic to you, they were great leading questions to ask for the average viewer, especially the 10 - 14 year old girls that play softball. Schilling knew the answers to just about every question he asked.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I didn't recall him saying 'What could they be talking about?' as if he had no idea. I interpreted it as him saying, 'Hey, Michele, you've been in this situation, you're the expert, you're actually a softball pitcher, unlike me, and unlike baseball, the whole infield is in this pow-wow, what's do you think they're saying? Is it strategy? Is it just more about maintaining the right frame of mind? Keeping everybody focused?' Schilling's role was partly that of a fan, a baseball guy, the one watching the WCWS that you're trying to attract as a fan of the sport, grow the game, etc. That's what that kind of fan might be thinking. You could view the question as idiotic, but also as deferring to the expert, kinda humble like.

In fact, he asked the bold several times. He asked it about a conversation between the next hitter and a coach. (I pointed that out yesterday.) He asked it about what was being said in the circle between players. He asked it about a conversation between pitching coach and player.

You mention a "humble approach," however, I lost track of how many times he used, "I" in the broadcast. He constantly referenced what he would do. Softball and baseball are two different games. One example, was when he stated he would throw a pitch up and in and the pitcher threw a change and got a ground ball to 3B. For me, the "I" references were really annoying. BTW, did anyone notice that a few times with these types of questions, those in the booth didn't answer or changed the subject. One example was when he asked how the umpires were chosen.

Several of you continue to assert that the goal of ESPN was to bring baseball people to appreciate softball. Where is your evidence of this? I'd submit to you that softball people were the ones watching and baseball people were watching the baseball options be it college or pro.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LisagS24