Curses to this site

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 22, 2009
When my DD went off to college, I wasn't quite ready to end my coaching that I was quite fond of.
I went over to the local Little League team, and grabbed me up a 10u team and went back to work. After awhile some of the kids on the other teams were needing a little help on fundamentals, and whoa mercy was the pitching BAD!

I then decided I would be more help as an individual skills coach than as team coach. --Going back to 10u with a different generation of parents was quite the experience.

Kids signed up for pitching, hitting, catching & fielding, eventually pitching became the prevalent need and I focused solely on that.
I'm sort of a perfectionist and when I do something I want to do it with the best of my abilities, so if I was going to spend hours and hours on the internet analyzing players and skills video's I wanted to leave it at just one skill.

But lately I had a few pitchers with just horrible overhand mechanics so I began using a few minutes in their classes to work on this problem.
Which then turned into more pitchers wanting to work on overhand and now I have (2) just overhand throwingclasses.

So curses to this site which has me on a new discussion thread, going over video after video of overhand skills and drills tapes.
So thankful to have basically a one stop shop of good knowledge to go to.:eek: Now whose going to clean my house?

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
When my DD went off to college, I wasn't quite ready to end my coaching that I was quite fond of.
I went over to the local Little League team, and grabbed me up a 10u team and went back to work. After awhile some of the kids on the other teams were needing a little help on fundamentals, and whoa mercy was the pitching BAD!

I then decided I would be more help as an individual skills coach than as team coach. --Going back to 10u with a different generation of parents was quite the experience.

Kids signed up for pitching, hitting, catching & fielding, eventually pitching became the prevalent need and I focused solely on that.
I'm sort of a perfectionist and when I do something I want to do it with the best of my abilities, so if I was going to spend hours and hours on the internet analyzing players and skills video's I wanted to leave it at just one skill.

But lately I had a few pitchers with just horrible overhand mechanics so I began using a few minutes in their classes to work on this problem.
Which then turned into more pitchers wanting to work on overhand and now I have (2) just overhand throwingclasses.

So curses to this site which has me on a new discussion thread, going over video after video of overhand skills and drills tapes.
So thankful to have basically a one stop shop of good knowledge to go to.:eek: Now whose going to clean my house?

Thankfully, there are more people on here than just us "SB nuts" to take over and coach the next generation of players. I'll be doing the same thing in 4 years when DD is off to college. Good luck!

Nov 27, 2010
What did you find was the best method of selling this to your spouse? I'm four years away as well, but she'll never let me continue without a kid on the team........and I ain't going that route!

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
What did you find was the best method of selling this to your spouse? I'm four years away as well, but she'll never let me continue without a kid on the team........and I ain't going that route!

Are you kidding? There was no need to talk her into it. She's as bad as I am. Well, maybe not when it comes to purchasing equipment;). The camaraderie, sense of community and the many relationships we have made due to softball sold DW all on it's own. The only thing I have to do is coach...lol

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2009
Midwest
I too, continued after my daughter finished her playing career. Not only coaching a team but with working with the players four nights a week.

Sold it to DH, by making him the official team scorer (he really enjoys it!). We also like going to different cities to play each weekend and trying the local food and beverage establishments. If there is something he would rather do that weekend, he will go do that.

During the weeknights, he went and got a part-time job. . .;-)

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
You have to be proactive. My DD is a freshman this year. I have a 3yo and one on the way. I figure I will get out of HS and start over. At least that is the plan.

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
I too am considering offering lessons to local rec ball players on basic skills such as throwing and fielding. Not for the money but because it pains me to see these player loving the sport and wanting more but lacking the teaching. You are doing the right thing. I hope I can stay married if I do this and continue coaching TB.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00