Cues after toe touch

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
That is absolutely, positively, 100% true.

I had a 9yo once that couldn't get his head centered over a bent back knee.

I kept saying, "Get your head over your knee." And, he just couldn't do it right. After showing him several things, I accidentally said, "Get your knee under your head." And, that phrase clicked and he did it right.

His Dad and I looked at each other like "What the heck? What's the difference?" Whatever, the kid got it right.

I often have to use 5 or 10 different phrases, before one clicks, and as you said, what works for one doesn't work for another.

And often the vocabulary is completely different depending on whether your working with boys or girls!

R

RayR

Absolutely. We work from heel plant backwards - meaning learn to drive the swing from the back with an established front leg....the end goal is to look like this player...too many players struggle with not getting the front leg in a position where you can drive from the back....so they spin and arm swing....

1firz8.gif

The girl above is doing the same thing as the pro in the sequence I showed. She pushes the heel down from the backside push that starts hip rotation.

May 7, 2008
San Rafael, Ca
BIOMECHANICALLY IN HLBB PATTERN, BACK HEEL COMES UP BEFORE FRONT HEEL PLANTS. FRONT HEEL EMPHASIS WILL LIKELY MESS UP PATTERN, INSTEAD,

HOW ABOUT "BAT BEHIND AND HIPS OPEN" (NO RONTFOOT/HEEL EMPHASIS) ?

Everything Hitting: Get Open!

COLABELLO: Each and every one of these guys (along with many other great hitters) is creating an orientation with their bodies during their pre-swing movements, that although may seem different in style, is accomplishing the same goal of getting their hips, and more importantly, their pelvis bone - OPEN - almost to the point where it is completely facing the pitcher. The reasoning behind it lies in the ability to create a short, efficient hand and barrel path to the baseball from the bat's position behind them.

One of the key elements in this lies in the idea of getting the bat - BEHIND - their bodies, while still accelerating the barrel from load, into swing. These elements of direction are vital to hitters for making the swing as efficient as it can possibly be in terms of force, timing, and adjustability. If you look at the still shots of Ryan Braun, Ted Williams, and Mel Ott, you will notice the baseball is already in the picture, and even more so, very close to home plate, and ultimately to the point of contact. This information in and of itself, should tell us just how short and quick the swing can be from this point, to contact.

At the end of the day, this is exactly what we are trying to accomplish, in order to put ourselves in good positions to hit the ball hard!

HOW DO HANDS/BAT STAY BACK ?

What Made Jose Bautista’s Swing So Short – Part 1 Hand Path

wHAT IS A RUNNING START ?

AB Hitting: What is a running start?

May 7, 2008
San Rafael, Ca
More detail, remember, if you can throw, you can hit, see:

Why Your Softball Players Have Elbow Pain: Wrist Flick Edition

How to keep the arm/elbow back so "back becomes behind" (good tewks "CUE") and weight will then shift from back to front of the body after you "get open" (pelvis turns open, rear hip remains in Internal Rotation-IR).

See

http://www.abathletics.com/2011/11/17/direction-and-weight-shift-in-throwing-mechanics/

See hitting details in running start video:

8 min mark:

hands deep and in control
barrell works behind
rear elbow clears/hips open
bat behind rear forearm

11:30

pelvis open, rear hip still closed/in IR, difference between take and full swing as back hip shuts down in take

12:30

full swing, rear hip with directional upward thrust/extension,upperleg/"hip" aDduction, rear hip still in IR

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2009
Excellent posts - multiple phrases and ways to say the same thing....finding a way to communicate with your players or students....

Of course, there are always the stories of a player coming to me and saying the same thing the Dad has been saying - but from me it it's right and from the Dad it's wrong....lol

Reminds me of the father who asked his son how he did in school that day. The son told him he got suspended. The father asked why he was suspended. The son said the teacher asked him what five plus one is. The son said he answered "six." The father said there's nothing wrong with that. The son said yeah, but then she asked me what one plus five is. The father said, what the hell's the difference? The son said, that's what I asked her!

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
More detail, remember, if you can throw, you can hit, see:

Why Your Softball Players Have Elbow Pain: Wrist Flick Edition

How to keep the arm/elbow back so "back becomes behind" (good tewks "CUE") and weight will then shift from back to front of the body after you "get open" (pelvis turns open, rear hip remains in Internal Rotation-IR).

See

Direction and Weight Shift in Throwing Mechanics

See hitting details in running start video:

8 min mark:

hands deep and in control
barrell works behind
rear elbow clears/hips open
bat behind rear forearm

11:30

pelvis open, rear hip still closed/in IR, difference between take and full swing as back hip shuts down in take

12:30

full swing, rear hip with directional upward thrust/extension,upperleg/"hip" aDduction, rear hip still in IR

Tom, help me out here.

In the link you provided, the following is shown as an example of "Correct High Level Throwing Motion". It appears to contain the 'wrist flick', yet the article seems to suggest that 'wrist flicks' are bad. Please clear that up ... is the article suggesting that wrist flicks are bad? That they lead to elbow pain? That they aren't part of a good throw, but are part of a "correct high level throwing motion"? Is the point that the wrist is simply the last segment of the Kinetic chain and shouldn't be over emphasized? Is the point that the wrist is merely used as a release mechanism at the end of a whip? Is the point that those that perform wrist flick drills do so for the wrong purpose and at the wrong point in the throw? A little clarification would be appreciated.

2v3318p.gif

Last edited:
R

RayR

BIOMECHANICALLY IN HLBB PATTERN, BACK HEEL COMES UP BEFORE FRONT HEEL PLANTS. FRONT HEEL EMPHASIS WILL LIKELY MESS UP PATTERN, INSTEAD,

HOW ABOUT "BAT BEHIND AND HIPS OPEN" (NO RONTFOOT/HEEL EMPHASIS) ?

Guess Detroit has 9 years of this guys low level nonsense....

Fielder_front_high.gif

Fielder.jpg

PFielder.jpg

May 7, 2008
San Rafael, Ca
MTS -

surface appearance is more variable than under the hood sequence.

under the hood relates more directly to consistent feel/sequencing of pattern.

if you emphasize the opposite, drop front heel then lift back, you are "pushing while blocking" (Yeager flaw description). This prevents early batspeed/HLBB pattern

Last edited:
May 7, 2008
San Rafael, Ca
FFS -

drills are like cues, you can almost always do them in a good or bad way, take the "fence drill" for example. It does not always have to be bad, doom one to failure depending on how it is managed and executed.

same with wrist flick/flexion.

the experience in question is with a girl who had learned (regardless of what was intended to be taught) that the release should be out front with flexion, lacking pronation and too far out front via losing arm connection/extension, leading elbow, and resulting in an arm throw/elbow strain. Commonly seen in girls.

wrist flick can be used in a good way to understand grip/release off fingers/wrist flexion/pronation.

it often promotes what the article describes/shows on the "before" video, unless the coach knows what to look for

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunny 321commission