Cues after toe touch

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
After seeing those clips slowed waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay down I have to agree with phreak. it looks to me to be a transitional stage. Debating semantics is where I believe we are. It all happens so fast in real life I doubt there could be a noticeable difference. jmho.

Again I will go back to discussion application vs real life application If you try to teach both heels being off the ground at once I see a ton of 10 year olds becoming very confused very fast.

Tim

Bouldersdad ... Phreak wrote "But the front heel won't be up at the same time the rear heel is up." ... IMO video shows it differently ... and it is why Yeager speaks of the rear heel release prior to front heel plant.

Oct 14, 2008
Remember......we are comparing genetically gifted and sometimes altered grown men to teenage girls....

I just look at it as good reading. I cant see the benefit of trying to change less than a millisecond of a movement on a group of teenager or younger VS the mass confusion it would cause.

Tim

R

RayR

Tim,
I agree with you for this reason - most hitters have no idea how to transfer their weight....trying to get them to choreograph a move like Soriano or Bonds et al would be a train wreck....learning to get the front heel down with the front shoulder still down and in so they can drive the swing by walking off the back heel and just throwing the barrel has worked best at teaching them to transfer their weight...doesn't work 100% of the time - but it works for the vast majority...less hand dropping, less sweeping, more hits...
Ray

May 7, 2008
San Rafael, Ca
agree, weight shift is an attempt to describe a very complex set of motions.

historically, Jim Dixon had great success using Lau Sr's hitting ideas and tried to use the same ideas and apporch to come up with an overhandthrow/pitching method. He then found this required trying to understand and explain what Lau meant by "weight shift" and he spent the rest of his life trying to sort out what weight shift was and how it fit.

his activated torso idea is better understood now as spine engine.

see Dixon's EXCEPTIONAL PLAYER book.

not only is weight shift complex, but it also varies by pattern and clearly throw is different from swing.

the best weight shift descriptions I see now for HLBB pattern, throw and swing, are from tewks. for swing, the idea is "back" becomes 'behind", bat behind,pelvis opens, rear hip remaining closed ("COILED"/inIR) then weight shifts from behind to in front with adjustable direction byback leg turn and rear hip extension. see previous links.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LisagS24