Crystal Bustos bat Size

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 19, 2009
But Peppers, Weekly's pronouncement may not apply to growing kids. We underestimate what our girls can do and get them bats that are too light. I think a heavier bat within reason will make them stronger over time. I have had kids who can't 'hold a bat with one hand' still have great swings/hits with that very same bat.

Also I see changes in bat drop rules coming for HS age.....

I’ve met Ralph a few times we did not talked SB just exchanged pleasantries and he seems OK. The Vols SB fields a competitive team and you have to give him credit for that, if you agree or disagree with him.

He coached at UTC in Chattanooga and the pitcher who many claim to have put UTC and him on the map and holds many of the records at UTC brings her daughter down from Knoxville every Wednesday for pitching and hitting lesson where my daughters takes her pitching lessons. The coach coached her when she was little and when she was at UTC, now she brings her daughter to him for lessons. She is maybe 10, IMO she is going to be a chip off the old block.

Daughters pitching coach worked with many of the UTC kids when Ralph was the coach there and they got into a bitter dispute at some point. Weekly at that time insisted on teaching squashing the bug and this coach was teaching a leaner, rotational swing and he was against squash the bug. They were friends up to that point and have not spoken for years according to dauthters pitching coach.

Talking about heavy bats anyone remember the old slow-pitch Bomb Bats, those were some heavy metal bats. The heaviest FP Bat I’ve seen is the 26 ½ ounce, the heaver bats I’ve seen are slow-pitch bats, which have a higher rating for MPH of the ball coming off the bat 98 VS 120 if my memory serves me correct.

IMO the size bat depends on size of the player, strength and athletic ability, my daughter has been using a Demarini Phenox 34/26 since she was 15, but she is a big strong kid.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2011
The theory isn’t overly complicated.

The biggest difference between slowpitch and fastpitch bats is that slowpitch bats weigh more … and conversely, fastpitch bats weigh less.

The belief is that batters in slowpitch have more time to wind up and load their swing, … and that they therefore can make use of heavier bats to deliver more power.

Contrast that to fastpitch where lighter bats are often considered essential because reaction time is drastically reduced. The belief being that a lighter bat is necessary to generate bat speed, torque and whip.

The reality is that even in fastpitch … static mannerisms are a no-no … as is powering the swing with the arms. The HLBB pattern works well in fastpitch … and stretch-and-fire is still the fastest way to deliver the barrel from ‘launch’ to ‘contact’. Even in fastpitch, one can still use an ‘early and slow’ start to break inertia in initiating their lower body running start. ‘Early and slow’, what some consider the ‘holy grail’ to hitting … and they can compliment that by employing a rhythmic sequence that extracts the benefits involved in slowpitch … a well timed loading sequence that delivers a powerful blow. An early/slow start, with a rhythmic sequence, can be a strong basis for a fastpitch swing … and it is capable of swinging bats weighing more than many of today’s ultra-light bats that encourage sub-par mechanics and the reliance of arm powered swings.
really great post,I find it to be very true,I had the dd ditch the light bats 3 years ago.I had been playing slowpitch for years,and was using a 30oz. bat,and played in a couple of modified pitch tournaments,used the same bat,same swing,just started earlier.My mom use to play modified and FP in the late 70s and thru the 80s they use to use these Easton smokes for bats not light at all.I think she still has them,she even had these magnesium bats and they where really heavy.Those women hit the crap out of the ball,so did my mom,but she also was a farm girl,with six brothers all played ball.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
The big difference between slow pitch and fast pitch is PITCHING. Not the bats. I have played both and swinging a heavy bat on a change up is not fun. Have you noticed how many young kids swinging heavy bats struggle on change ups ? fourts think you, my information was right off the web page. PEPPERS, one of my former players is now working for the Weekly's after 4 years of playing college ball. So we get some inside information. She wants to be a college coach, so who better to work with.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Talking about heavy bats anyone remember the old slow-pitch Bomb Bats, those were some heavy metal bats. The heaviest FP Bat I’ve seen is the 26 ½ ounce, the heaver bats I’ve seen are slow-pitch bats, which have a higher rating for MPH of the ball coming off the bat 98 VS 120 if my memory serves me correct.

There are many slowpitch bats sold with the ASA-2004 stamp that do not exceed the 98mph rating.

Nov 17, 2010
A little physics...

Mass times speed equals force. We want the heaviest bat at the fastest bat speed we can generate with proper hand path ( AND PREFERABLY THAT WEIGHT TO BE ON THE END ).

Sorry to pick nits (and show my nerdiness), but mass times speed (actually velocity since it has direction) equals momentum. Mass times acceleration (change in velocity) equals force.

The speed of the ball off the bat is due to the law of conservation of momentum. You can calculate the force that was applied to the ball as the change in ball velocity (speed and direction) times the mass of the ball.

Bat mass and speed is only one component of the force. You must consider the direction of the bat head, the COR of the ball and the bat, and the initial speed, direction, and mass of the ball.

Sorry for the technical detour, now back to "my bat is bigger than yours". :)

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
"Length is determined by measuring the width of the upper body. Bat should be 2x that length."

Will someone help me understand what this measure is? Shoulders?

Oct 14, 2008
Sorry to pick nits (and show my nerdiness), but mass times speed (actually velocity since it has direction) equals momentum. Mass times acceleration (change in velocity) equals force.

The speed of the ball off the bat is due to the law of conservation of momentum. You can calculate the force that was applied to the ball as the change in ball velocity (speed and direction) times the mass of the ball.

Bat mass and speed is only one component of the force. You must consider the direction of the bat head, the COR of the ball and the bat, and the initial speed, direction, and mass of the ball.

Sorry for the technical detour, now back to "my bat is bigger than yours". :)

Guess I should have paid more attention in science class. Bottom line is IMO the heavier the bat the faster the swing with proper hand path the further the round goes down range. I will try to keep it simple from now on so I don't get in over my head on physics lol.

Tim

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Unless your DD can hit 'tape measure' home runs, I would suggest trading bat speed for bat size. I have seen many girls who's parents (98% dads) push them to use a bat that is to heavy. Some do it for pride ("my daughter swings a 34/26.5!") while others do it because they don't want to spend $299 on a new composite bat every 6 months as their DD grow up!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors