Crystal Bustos bat Size

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 21, 2008
For those of you out there that know Crystal Bustos personally I would like to know what size bat she uses, length and weight. How about any other ladies on team USA....what is the normally bat size for elite players.

I have a 13yr old girl that thinks she can swing a 34/25 Rocketech and I have talked to her and told her that was way to much bat. Granted she is a very strong girl for her age but still can't handle a 34/25 bat. I would like to go back to her and say Crystal Bustos uses a ____ size bat, Jenny finch uses a _____ size bat, etc......

Oct 14, 2008
34/25 R/T will weigh out at about 27 oz if they havent changed their end weight. Unless she is a amazon at 13 it may be a bit to heavy for her.

I cant speak for Bustos as I dont know what info she would consider as personal. Go to her web site GotBustos.com and there is a question and answer section there. She is really good about answering almost any question asked.

Tim

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Bustos uses a Demarini and that is the only bat brand she will even touch at a clinic. I have seen one kid at a clinic in Westerville Ohio use her heavy bat. Britt, Tim's dd in the Barry Bonds drill. Otherwise you cannot pry Britt- RT out of her hands. I think it was at the clinic lhowser attended.

Here is her response to this question from her web site in terms of how heavy of a bat I should use.

9. One of the most frequently asked questions I get is, "What bat should my daughter use?" What tips to you have for parents on this subject?
Length is determined by measuring the width of the upper body. Bat should be 2x that length. Weight will depend on what the player can handle (try having them hold the bat out in front of them with one hand, if they can't hold it very long without their hand shaking or dropping that bat is probably too heavy).

She has used her personnel bat a a few clinics, but like Tim posted we will not speak for her. But you cannot buy her bat drop, last I was told. You can only get a 34" 26.5 oz bat thru Demarini, so that should give you a guideline.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2011
This doesn't answer your question, but a friend of ours who is pretty big, just got out of a good D1 program and used a 34/24 Freak. A D3 coach I just spoke with said only one player on her team uses a 24oz bat while the others use 22 or 23 (they've won the National Title fairly recently).

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Being able to swing a 34/25 and being able to use a 34/25 are two different things. At 12-13-14-15-16 mine swung/swings a 33/24 RT. Perfect fit, no need moving up just for the sake of saying " I swing such n such a weight ".

Question is, what does your DD swing now? End load? Balanced? Speed bat? How is her swing? Is she a contact hitter? Is she a power hitter? Why do you or her want to change sticks? Lots go into factoring a individual's bat. One size does not fit all.

Oct 19, 2009
Below is from an article by Ralph Weekly Tenseness head coach, not that I agree with him, but he is the head coach of a SEC power house.

A lot of our hitters use bats that simply too big for them. We need to use the right bat size. It is my contention that hardly anybody in the country can use a bat bigger than a 25 ounce bat. We’re looking for bat speed. You don’t get bat speed with a big old heavy bat that you have to drag through the zone. For every 10 miles you pick up in bat speed, you pick up 40 feet in distance. Make sure they have a bat they can handle.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Below is from an article by Ralph Weekly Tenseness head coach, not that I agree with him, but he is the head coach of a SEC power house.

Peppers!!! You make me laugh. Your posts are always good and with grammar but this is the 10th time you've spelled Tennessee wrong. :)

Of coarse you could be doing it on purpose making fun of the Vols??

Oct 14, 2008

Wow I cant believe it I have actually found something I agree with Weekly on. That and 5 dollars will get you a coffee at star bucks. I think he is spot on with the bat weight issue though. Mass times speed equals force. We want the heaviest bat at the fastest bat speed we can generate with proper hand path ( AND PREFERABLY THAT WEIGHT TO BE ON THE END ).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdawson30