Crystal Bustos bat Size

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 25, 2011
For some ladies. Too much bat might equate to a fly ball, right to an outfielder. Maybe less can actually equal more, because soem of them, can not generate enough bat speed, with any weight bat, to produce sufficient force to hit it over the outfielders heads. Not even talking homeruns.

Oct 19, 2009
Not everyone one can swing the heavy bat weight and doing so can do harm to the mechanics of the swing IMO. I hesitated to put the bat size my daughter uses because of the heavy weight and someone thinks she can do it and so can my daughter.

My daughter is not your average size 17 YO, she is a big strong kid.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
JAD, I've also seen the opposite issue as well.

At the start of the winter I had an 8th grader with a 19 or 19.5-oz bat ... the mother brought the girl to me for an evaluation. The kid had a terrible swing that completely broke down in the batter's box. The kid largely fueled her swing with her arms. The parent had purchased several bats ... each one lighter than the prior bat ... sort of resembled an effort to rely on being an arm-powered swinger and to make the best of it. To make a long story short ... the kid signed up for my winter clinic where she surrendered her ultra-light bats and began the process of learning how to swing a heavier barrel. She went from swinging a 19.5-oz bat to swinging a 28-oz bat ... and get this ... she found that her prior swing mechanics wouldn't work any longer. She tried to swing with her prior swing mechanics ... but she quickly 'felt' how foolish the effort was. Without her ultra-light barrels available to rescue her, she began the process of learning how to swing. The kid even purchased a 30-oz wood bat to assist in her training. Fast forward to this week ... the kid is now using a 23-oz bat with a hugely improved swing sequence. She had a swing that would not have allowed her to make her HS Varsity team next year ... it wasn't even a goal for the kid ... they saw it as impossible ... and now, it's a goal that they see as much more probable.

Oct 14, 2008
Ok let's try this again. I am not saying every kid should swing a bat so heavy it impairs her mechanics. What I am saying is the optimum weight for the optimum swing speed. Sorry if I diddnt make this clear enough. I will stand behind what I said though. A good first move Proper hand path swing speed and bat weight or mass equals longer hits.

Oct 19, 2009
Ok let's try this again. I am not saying every kid should swing a bat so heavy it impairs her mechanics. What I am saying is the optimum weight for the optimum swing speed. Sorry if I diddnt make this clear enough. I will stand behind what I said though. A good first move Proper hand path swing speed and bat weight or mass equals longer hits.

Yea, What Tim said!!!!!!

Feb 14, 2010
Boulders,

First off Ive only seen a still picture of your DDs swing but I love it. I would like to know what's the furthest your DD has ever hit a ball in your estimation? When you made the decision to move to a heavier bat how much of a difference did you see in distance? The reason I ask is because I'm thinking of moving my DD up to a 33-25 Xeno. I've personally seen my DD hit a ball 280' with a 33-23 Xeno just a couple weeks ago off front toss, due to her improved mechanics. My DD is 5-8 & 140lbs and 15yo, but she works out on her core everyday and wants to add 15-20lbs. I've had her swinging a 33-25 Phoenix lately and she said it doesn't feel any different than her Xeno.

Oct 14, 2008
Boulders,

First off Ive only seen a still picture of your DDs swing but I love it. I would like to know what's the furthest your DD has ever hit a ball in your estimation? When you made the decision to move to a heavier bat how much of a difference did you see in distance? The reason I ask is because I'm thinking of moving my DD up to a 33-25 Xeno. I've personally seen my DD hit a ball 280' with a 33-23 Xeno just a couple weeks ago off front toss, due to her improved mechanics. My DD is 5-8 & 140lbs and 15yo, but she works out on her core everyday and wants to add 15-20lbs. I've had her swinging a 33-25 Phoenix lately and she said it doesn't feel any different than her Xeno.

The furthest I have seen has been 325 foot On a men's slow
Os
pitch field it banged off the fence in rf. understand that was a perfect swing for a perfect pitch and is the exception not the rule. I base bat size or weight off of swing speed measured off of a swing speed radar unit. We take 10 to 20 swings to get the avg then adjust the BAt weight from there.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2010
That's a serious BOMB and I love it. The stuff these young ladies can do truly amazes me. Thanks for answering my question, I was hesitant to even put it out there, most people have a hard time believing that girls are capable of hitting a ball like that.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors