Crystal Bustos bat Size

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Bustos uses a Demarini and that is the only bat brand she will even touch at a clinic. I have seen one kid at a clinic in Westerville Ohio use her heavy bat. Britt, Tim's dd in the Barry Bonds drill. Otherwise you cannot pry Britt- RT out of her hands. I think it was at the clinic lhowser attended.

Here is her response to this question from her web site in terms of how heavy of a bat I should use.

9. One of the most frequently asked questions I get is, "What bat should my daughter use?" What tips to you have for parents on this subject?
Length is determined by measuring the width of the upper body. Bat should be 2x that length. Weight will depend on what the player can handle (try having them hold the bat out in front of them with one hand, if they can't hold it very long without their hand shaking or dropping that bat is probably too heavy).

She has used her personnel bat a a few clinics, but like Tim posted we will not speak for her. But you cannot buy her bat drop, last I was told. You can only get a 34" 26.5 oz bat thru Demarini, so that should give you a guideline.

FYI ... Demarini sells 34" 28-oz bats ... I used two of them last evening in the cages.

R

RayR

Are we spamming the board now with our favorite places to get a cup of coffee....

Wow I cant believe it I have actually found something I agree with Weekly on. That and 5 dollars will get you a coffee at star bucks. I think he is spot on with the bat weight issue though. Mass times speed equals force. We want the heaviest bat at the fastest bat speed we can generate with proper hand path ( AND PREFERABLY THAT WEIGHT TO BE ON THE END ).

Oct 19, 2009
Peppers!!! You make me laugh. Your posts are always good and with grammar but this is the 10th time you've spelled Tennessee wrong. :)

Of coarse you could be doing it on purpose making fun of the Vols??

School was never my strong point; I’m just an old country boy. Spell checker should have fixed it don’t know why it is not been doing that. Plus there is a bitter taste in my mouth when I spell that word. :confused:

If you count all my mistakes you going to be a busy fellow!!!!!! :eek:

Aug 31, 2010
Tallmadge, Ohio
One other thing, length and weight are only part of the equation! Where that weight is balanced makes a huge difference in swing feel. My DD was swinging a Xeno 33 -9 till it broke now swings a CF5 Insane 33 -10 and she feels the CF5 swings way heavier, although it is 1oz. lighter.

Oct 14, 2008
Not that it matters but I just spoke to my dd , the 34/26 was cracked at Iowa State and the only other bat her size is a 34/25. Sorry for the mix up folks. As usual dad gets the info wrong.

MTS I just like coffee lol and star bucks seems to be the coffee shop of choice at airports. All the time I have spent in them this month I just see to gravitate in that direction.

Tim

May 7, 2008
Tucson
All of the old women on my slow pitch team, swung a 26 ounce bat. These were little bitty women that were 60+. They nocked the snot out of the ball, so many times that I thought their bats were shaved.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
All of the old women on my slow pitch team, swung a 26 ounce bat. These were little bitty women that were 60+. They nocked the snot out of the ball, so many times that I thought their bats were shaved.

I hear you.

The main difference between the slowpitch and fastpitch bats are the weights ... with slowpitch bats normally being heavier.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
My daughter is 13, plays on an ASA level TB team, is 5'8", 135lbs and she swings a 32/22 Xeno in case that helps. A Rockettech is going to feel even heavier than it is because of the end loading. Several factors need to go into your decision making process. How quickly can she get the bat through the strike zone, bat speed, what type of pitching is she facing? Her bat speed may not seem critical against a 48MPH 'meatball', but see if she can get around on a 55+MPH 'heater' at 14U! Does she hit every ball to the right side (assuming she is a RH batter), or is she able to pull the ball with power?

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
The theory isn’t overly complicated.

The biggest difference between slowpitch and fastpitch bats is that slowpitch bats weigh more … and conversely, fastpitch bats weigh less.

The belief is that batters in slowpitch have more time to wind up and load their swing, … and that they therefore can make use of heavier bats to deliver more power.

Contrast that to fastpitch where lighter bats are often considered essential because reaction time is drastically reduced. The belief being that a lighter bat is necessary to generate bat speed, torque and whip.

The reality is that even in fastpitch … static mannerisms are a no-no … as is powering the swing with the arms. The HLBB pattern works well in fastpitch … and stretch-and-fire is still the fastest way to deliver the barrel from ‘launch’ to ‘contact’. Even in fastpitch, one can still use an ‘early and slow’ start to break inertia in initiating their lower body running start. ‘Early and slow’, what some consider the ‘holy grail’ to hitting … and they can compliment that by employing a rhythmic sequence that extracts the benefits involved in slowpitch … a well timed loading sequence that delivers a powerful blow. An early/slow start, with a rhythmic sequence, can be a strong basis for a fastpitch swing … and it is capable of swinging bats weighing more than many of today’s ultra-light bats that encourage sub-par mechanics and the reliance of arm powered swings.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors