crowhopping?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
on monday after the first inning had an ump walk over to our dugout. Conversation went like this
ump. The other team has a video from the first inning and they say your pitcher is crow hopping.
Me. Scott that girl has never crow hopped in her life. Did you or your partner see her crow hopping
ump. No but they say its on tape
me. Did you see the tape
ump, yes
me. Is video review allowed in our rules
ump. No
me. Was she crow hopping in the video
ump, no
me. Then why are we talking about it
ump. Because they say they have it on video so just tell your pitcher to be careful.
Me. I'm not telling her a thing. If you see her crow hop, call it, we will deal with it then.

lolzzzzzzzzzzzz

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
"on monday after the first inning had an ump walk over to our dugout. Conversation went like this
ump. The other team has a video from the first inning and they say your pitcher is crow hopping.
Me. Scott that girl has never crow hopped in her life. Did you or your partner see her crow hopping
ump. No but they say its on tape
me. Did you see the tape
ump, yes
me. Is video review allowed in our rules
ump. No
me. Was she crow hopping in the video
ump, no
me. Then why are we talking about it
ump. Because they say they have it on video so just tell your pitcher to be careful.
Me. I'm not telling her a thing. If you see her crow hop, call it, we will deal with it then."

" Really? Guess we're even then cause I have a video of the other team's coach passin gas downtown. By the way, I don't remember giving anyone permission to film my underage daughter."

The video

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2008
Here's a couple of gifs of the same pitch of our crow-hopper. The first is full speed. I slowed down the 2nd and paused it on her replant. Granted she's pitching in the grass, because our infield was a lake this day, but she does not leap. She's a trench digger.

Crowhop2fast.gif

Crowhop2.gif

Apr 5, 2009
NE Kansas
As B Hillhouse would say: Typically there is a hitch in the motion which leads to the replant. I can see it really well in the gifs. Thanks for sharing Coach.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
Here's a couple of gifs of the same pitch of our crow-hopper. The first is full speed. I slowed down the 2nd and paused it on her replant. Granted she's pitching in the grass, because our infield was a lake this day, but she does not leap. She's a trench digger.

Crowhop2fast.gif

Crowhop2.gif

While I think Cat Osterman is an awesome pitcher, she clearly crow hops on almost every pitch. She hops to the replant and then pushes off and drags her pivot foot along the ground.

http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-pitching/5208-model-pitchers-3.html

May 25, 2008
Pickerington Ohio
Maybe I have been wrong with what I thought was the difference between crow hopping, replants and leaping. I thought a crow hop was when the pivot foot was pushed forward off the rubber during the wind up, replanting is what is shown in the video above and Osterman does very subtly and a leap was when both feet are in the air. Splitting hairs I suppose.

Dec 6, 2010
Florida
While I think Cat Osterman is an awesome pitcher, she clearly crow hops on almost every pitch. She hops to the replant and then pushes off and drags her pivot foot along the ground.

http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-pitching/5208-model-pitchers-3.html

We had a pitcher that pitched against us this past weekend in a tournament, in which we thought that she was crop hopping. Hope i explain this correctly. When she would push off with her pivot foot her entire pivot foot would come off the ground while she still had the ball. She would then drag her foot when the foot had landed after release. This was a Usssa state tournament. Is this considered a crop hop. We lost 2-1 the first game and won 5-3 the next game.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
A leap is when both feet are in the air at the same time. A crow hop is a push from the rubber, and regardless if the pivot foot drags or becomes airborne, replants and pushes off again from that point.

I think there is a difference between pitchers that pause the drag and those that truly replant and push off again. The above slo-mo video is good for me because as I saw the regular speed video, I initially thought she was just pausing. Looking at the slo-mo video, she really does seem to replant and gain an advantage by doing so.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2010
Florida
We had a pitcher that pitched against us this past weekend in a tournament, in which we thought that she was crop hopping. Hope i explain this correctly. When she would push off with her pivot foot her entire pivot foot would come off the ground while she still had the ball. She would then drag her foot when the foot had landed after release. This was a Usssa state tournament. Is this considered a crop hop. We lost 2-1 the first game and won 5-3 the next game.

Sounds more like a leap than a crowhop.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcworthSoftballMom