Crossfit?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
A couple of years ago DD's team went to a crossfit trainer twice per week, paid for by the team. the workouts were hard for the girls but by the end of the season you could just tell that they were stronger physically and the played better for a longer period of time.

Jul 3, 2012
The big belly is called dickie-doo. That's when your belly sticks out further than your dickie-doo.

Funny how men can find cute names for let's face it it's just a gut. Like that famous excuse why would women want a six pack when they can have the whole keg.

I do crossfit training in combination with compound training. Compound being you work upper and lower muscle groups at the same time. Doing all my upper dubmbell work in a squat position. I never want anything that resembles a keg on me in the mirror or otherwise.

Apr 4, 2012
Begin angry rant.

First off Cross Fit is a company, not a workout. Despite what many would have you believe Greg Glassman, the fat drunk who owns Cross Fit, did not invent the concept of a timed interval workout. All he really did was come up with a slick marketing campaign to convince people that what we were doing 30 years ago in football camp was really his idea.

Angry rant over.

The concept of performing timed intervals using weights, body weight, and gymnastic movements is a great tool to be integrated into any program, but it's just one of the many tools available to a good strength and conditioning coach. The posted WOD's are useless for most people and scaling often makes them even more so but if you can get past the marketing and the "sport of fitness" garbage there are some good tools in there.

As was already said, if you choice is between doing nothing or crossfit then by all means give it a try but make sure you find a trainer who really knows what they are doing and doesn't just toe the company line giving your player a PVC pipe and telling them to do 25 snatches for time.

Feb 19, 2012
West US
Dd's team has done this in the past. There was a remarkable improvement in the girls fitness level during the training but their fitness levels decline somewhat after the training. (for those girls who had minimal activity outside of regular practices). Most of the girls lost their baby fat, trimmed up, and kept it off.

Oct 14, 2008
My dd used it over winter break while she was home to stay ahead of the curve going back and starting conditioning and practice at college. Cost was pretty reasonable, Instructors were knowledgeable. The results were pretty good. First I had ever heard of it, she said she plans to do it again over the summer to get a jump on fall conditioning.

Tim

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Our Soccer team does this in the winter/spring. My dd is done with high school soccer, but she is going to cross fit with her former team for the same reasons that Bouldersdad mentioned.

Oct 25, 2009
What I would really like to see is our team doing the Wrestling team conditioning that our school does. They are forever, running, flipping tires, throwing sandbags, etc. Not to mention the actual wrestling. Another positive, I believe that if girls actually trained to wrestle they would be much more capable of defending themselves against attackers.