Critique of a National Player's Swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
DD2 is pigeon toed...if she doesn't flare her front foot open going to toe touch...she gets zero stretch across the pelvis and the hips ain't opening...

Java and I have had plenty of conversations regarding my pitchers femur orientation...you'd never guess we were talking softball LOL

In all seriousness, this issue (body part orientation) needs to be brought to the forefront of our instruction because "forcing" them to a given foot\knee\hip\elbow\name a body part position may actually be causing injury and\or inhibiting their natural athleticism...CP

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
DD2 is pigeon toed...if she doesn't flare her front foot open going to toe touch...she gets zero stretch across the pelvis and the hips ain't opening...

Java and I have had plenty of conversations regarding my pitchers femur orientation...you'd never guess we were talking softball LOL

In all seriousness, this issue (body part orientation) needs to be brought to the forefront of our instruction because "forcing" them to a given foot\knee\hip\elbow\name a body part position may actually be causing injury and\or inhibiting their natural athleticism...CP

I agree with you completely Chris. There are physical differences between players that determine orientation. There is much to be learned in the "Drive Mechanics" thread that goes beyond pitching.

Feb 7, 2013
For those that think you should teach hitting differently, what about when the kids are age 5-12 before puberty hits? Many, many kids are learning how to hit at these younger ages and I see no reason to teach them different especially at these ages. For example, my 8YO son has an almost identical body type as my DD when she was that age. But you are suggesting I teach him differently than how I taught my DD. How about throwing a ball? Do you teach throwing differently for a girl than a boy?

This is one area that I disagreed with Howard Carrier teachings. I have his matrix drills and he believes you teach hitting differently for females.

IMO, players come in many different sizes, and any broad based generalizations about gender differences should be way down the list of areas of concern for hitting instructors.

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
I must have missed where someone suggested teaching girls differently than boys. I surely never posted that.
I'm not saying you should teach boys or girls differently when it comes to hitting or throwing. When a player is having difficulty in hitting or throwing that just can't be explained maybe have a look at other possibilities. My DD was born with an 'issue' of her right foot. So, she has learned to adapt her swing at set up.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I must have missed where someone suggested teaching girls differently than boys. I surely never posted that.
I'm not saying you should teach boys or girls differently when it comes to hitting or throwing. When a player is having difficulty in hitting or throwing that just can't be explained maybe have a look at other possibilities. My DD was born with an 'issue' of her right foot. So, she has learned to adapt her swing at set up.

rdbass,

I did not see any posts concerning gender either. I cannot speak for anyone else, but my post is concerning other anatomical differences such as pigeon-toed vs duck-toed. I am not a doctor, but I believe boys and girls can have either orientation, so it is not a gender related statement. But I do believe that these orientations need to be considered before teaching a cookie cutter approach. You mention your DD, and that is the type of situation I am referring to.

NOTE: The article posted by rdbass is not gender specific either. This can relate to boys or girls.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
I wasn't stating any such thing about teaching girls and boys differently...I only have girls and would teach them any differently if they were boys...I teach 'em to spit in their hands, adjust their jock and chew tobacco just like the big boys do ;)

I was simply making an observation about the girl in this thread and that it seemed odd how her lower half moved after front heel plant...CP

Jun 8, 2010
Chris, thanks for your input. They are interesting and insightful.

But, this girl doesn't have varus knees. She has pretty neutral feet supination too. She walks as such because she has monster thighs. Lol. This girl competes in powerlifting in her free time and squats 242lbs. She's a beast.

Speaking to her, she has been coached, quite extensively, to keep her front knee bent. Her coaches believe that a 'stiff' front side is disadvantageous, for reasons unknown to me.

But, I will try to get a video of her hitting from the front, with her front foot parallel to home plate, just for the sleuth in you Chris!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1