Critique of a National Player's Swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2010
Hi, I work with national softballers where i'm from and this is one of the girls I work with.

Here is where she's at currently: http://youtu.be/smO-vI-PPKI

If anyone's interested, this is where she was just a couple of months back.

Her main coaches subscribe to the Japanese style of batting, and largely influenced her previous swing. I don't disagree with what they teach, but I find such a swing lacking on several fronts.

Would appreciate any thoughts on her current swing. Thank you.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
Hi, I work with a national softballers where i'm from and this is one of the girls I work with.

Here is where she's at currently: http://youtu.be/smO-vI-PPKI

If anyone's interested, this is where she was just a couple of months back.

Her main coaches subscribe to the Japanese style of batting, and largely influenced her previous swing.

Would appreciate any thoughts on her current swing. Thank you.

Nice job sir.

quite the improvement.

Jun 8, 2010
What has she been focusing on between her current swing and her swing from a couple months back?

I have been having her focus on weight transfer during the loading phase and swing phase, finding the correct slot with her rear elbow (I do quite a bit of the enforcer drill), and keeping both elbows equidistant during the swing (and maintaining the box/triangle) in her arms.

What are the specifics on Japanese style of batting?

Some of the things she's been asked to do include little to no weight transfer (from back to front side) during swing phase, straight diagonal bath path from point A (start) to point B (contact), a 'closed' front elbow, and level shoulders throughout the swing.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2010
To provide more insight as to what the 'japanese style' of batting entails, this is one of her team's coaches demonstrating what she thinks of it.

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
fju11.gif

it's a pity because some of these girls have so much strength!
This coach has some 'strength' also. A lot to like in her swing. Introduce a corner,separation( upper from lower) & SNF.
Search or read about 'creating a corner' and 'separation'.
top (hands) still going back as the bottom (hips) is/are starting forward.
ACraig_1Bview_rearleg.gif

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877