Critique of a National Player's Swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
s480fr.gif

Jun 8, 2010
This coach has some 'strength' also. A lot to like in her swing. Introduce a corner,separation( upper from lower) & SNF.
Search or read about 'creating a corner' and 'separation'.

Thanks for your feedback. Yes, that's what I find lacking and is something I have been working with her to include in her swing.

Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
Lionel,

Can I ask a silly question?

When this girl walks, do her feet look like this \ / or || or / \ (splayed\duck, straight or pigeon toed)?

My spidey sense is tingling based on something that came up in a face to face conversation with JavaSource, SBMom8992 and myself a couple of weeks ago...CP

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Lionel,

When this girl walks, do her feet look like this \ / or || or / \ (splayed\duck, straight or pigeon toed)?

My spidey sense is tingling based on something that came up in a face to face conversation with JavaSource, SBMom8992 and myself a couple of weeks ago...CP

Good question. I notice something 'different' with the Hitters front or rear leg/foot. Almost like an injury or sensitivity to the front or rear leg/foot.
s480fr.gif

or 'over coached' to get a look or certain position.

Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
Good question. I notice something 'different' with the Hitters front or rear leg/foot. Almost like an injury or sensitivity to the front or rear leg/foot.
s480fr.gif

Yep. Exactly what I was getting at. There's a certain awkwardness there...CP

Jun 8, 2010
Lionel,

Chris, that's an interesting question. She walks || but with her feet further apart than usual. She walks as if there's something in between her thighs.

Jun 8, 2010
s480fr.gif

Yeah I think so too.

I have been using more cues that have her drive more of her weight into the front hip, but her rear foot/leg remains as such. I don't see anything broken, just that its not something I see other good hitters do, and I am not sure if I should be explicitly changing it.

Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
Yeah I think so too.

I have been using more cues that have her drive more of her weight into the front hip, but her rear foot/leg remains as such. I don't see anything broken, just that its not something I see other good hitters do, and I am not sure if I should be explicitly changing it.

I don't think driving more weight into the front hip is the answer. Her rear foot unweights and moves forward the full length of one of the tiles on the floor.

What I suspect is this...

I suspect that even though her feet face | | I suspect that she walks with either a pronated or supinated foot strike.

gear_pronation.jpg

When you factor in your description of her leg orientation which I am interpreting as "varus" or bowlegged (correct me if I'm wrong)...
tmpa83a73_thumb2.png

...that if you were to look at her foot\leg orientation from behind, I also suspect you would see one of these 2 patterns:

varusvalgus.jpg

In either case - I suspect what CLM265 sees as a passive finish is just her body's defense mechanism "arresting" a strong finish so she doesn't her herself and take herself out of the "safe" range"

Safe_Range.jpg

In either case, I would suggest that you work on getting her front foot to open and land parallel to home plate like this:

land at 90.jpg

This will take some of the stress off some of the ligaments in her knee that can be more susceptible to injury just because of her bone orientation...the LCL, MCL and ACL can all be put at risk

h9991918_001.jpg

I would like to see a tee swing from her with her front foot landing parallel to home plate as I described...

Merry Christmas!

CP

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Fascinating stuff there, Chris! Yes, Javasource is well versed in this.

I'm guessing the hitter is of the "varus" type. I have a little granddaughter who is varus.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1