critique my 9yo DD swing...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
Look at her back foot, I'm not sure you can find (always willing to be proven wrong) an elite swing where the back foot goes backwards. All your momentum and lower body releasing forward means you almost always see the back foot wanting to go forward; her foot loses contact then goes back. Maybe she is listening to a keep your weight back cue and is over compensating. I think she can do this because she has not stored much energy in the load. A.

Needs to make sure her back knee doesn't travel past her rear ankle during her load..doing so can cause that type of slip I think. With the angle can't see if that is happening or not.

May 7, 2015
SoCal
She is not really loading and coiling much or engaging her lower body still kinda handsy. The tell is in those first clip at batting lessons. Look at her back foot, I'm not sure you can find (always willing to be proven wrong) an elite swing where the back foot goes backwards. All your momentum and lower body releasing forward means you almost always see the back foot wanting to go forward; her foot loses contact then goes back. Maybe she is listening to a keep your weight back cue and is over compensating. I think she can do this because she has not stored much energy in the load. Also looks very bug squishy no forward component just rotational, just does not look like she is putting pressure down and forward just around. Anyway sorry if this isn't making sense just food for thought. Overall though think she looks close just need a few tweeks.

as an aside I would NEVER do whatever she was doing at the batting cage/hitting lesson taking one swing every three seconds is ridiculous you have no chance to properly prepare in between swings.

I'm not sure if you're talking about the previous batting cage time which was in January, or the single tee swing on youtube and gif. The tee swing was from two days ago. Are you seeing the bug squish with the tee swing?

May 7, 2015
SoCal
Needs to make sure her back knee doesn't travel past her rear ankle during her load..doing so can cause that type of slip I think. With the angle can't see if that is happening or not.

Very nice pick up with the knee position in regards to the ankle, makes sense. That should allow her to load her instep smoother by default. Thanks!

Sep 29, 2014
I'm not sure if you're talking about the previous batting cage time which was in January, or the single tee swing on youtube and gif. The tee swing was from two days ago. Are you seeing the bug squish with the tee swing?

Tee swing looks better would like to see how she reacts via a live pitch to make sure it's not a good tee swing that does not translate to what she does with a pitched ball

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
She needs to work on rotating or sitting into footplant. The weight is stacked over the back foot and she starts to rotate after the front foot is planted. She needs to get to toe touch, then the back leg should press the front foot down into footplant.

May 7, 2015
SoCal
These are always fun to bump the original post. DD is 2nd year 12u now... Below is a gif of this past weekend By no ways perfect, actually still a ton to work on but it is what it is. My DD's habits are not easily broken! Funny to see the similarities and differences from the original post.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Looks as if she cast her hands away from core and does the armbar so her hands get stuck behind her and she drags the bat. She needs to maintain the box or triangle or pentagon.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
She definitely looks bigger and stronger! :) She also seems to have gotten away from the dominant all-back/all-forward movement pattern she had when she was younger. Her hand path is the first issue that jumps out at me. With this kind of hand action, I tend to approach it with getting them to understand the idea of "shoulder delivers the hands", which may likely include work starting with the barrel resting on the shoulder and launching by turning the barrel off the shoulder.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
These are always fun to bump the original post. DD is 2nd year 12u now... Below is a gif of this past weekend By no ways perfect, actually still a ton to work on but it is what it is. My DD's habits are not easily broken! Funny to see the similarities and differences from the original post.

I like her swing. She has good hands. She’s just a tad off balance.When she gets ‘back’ during her ‘load’ or ‘gather’ make sure her COM doesn’t get back, her weight needs to get ‘into’ her back hip. Not her whole body. This is making her swing ‘uphill’ as well as making her arms a power source instead of the core. She probably hits the outside better than the inside. Fixing the COM on gather will fix both of those problems. Once that is fixed I would check if the hands still ‘drop’ so to speak.

She is back to middle. Her shift never gets to the frontside. It should.

The reason for the look of a ‘cast’ is because its an early release of the bathead because of pitch location. This is a properly timed proper release.
Of course IMO.

Overall. She looks like a good athlete. Good movements.

Last edited:
May 7, 2015
SoCal
Looks as if she cast her hands away from core and does the armbar so her hands get stuck behind her and she drags the bat. She needs to maintain the box or triangle or pentagon.

Bat drag has always been an issue with her swing... We've had a number of different batting coaches (as well as always working with me too) and they all work on it a slightly different way to different degrees of success in practice. When I get pushy on her implementing drills from practice, the effect is that it starts hampering her instincts and aggression which are really really good. Also, that's why I like to analyze her swing on live pitches.

Thanks for the input - Ernie

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom