critique my 9yo DD swing...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
As i like to mention quite often Five, In the throw the elbow being the fulcrum, and an arm whip, does not set well in my swing thoughts.

DBSF, and Bat drag Is a throw, while swinging properly is not.

That being said, the late part of the swing is more throw like,

I understand your reservation Mann. "In the swing" the fulcrum to be accentuated is the "wrists". "In the overhand throw" the fulcrum to be accentuated is the "rear elbow".

Perhaps the analogy would work better for you if you moved the two actions out by one body 'segment'. Relate the "rear forearm in the throw" to the "barrel in the swing" ... relate the "rear elbow in the throw" to the "wrists in the swing".

In a sense, a 'bat dragger' doesn't make that body segment adjustment between the two actions of "throwing a ball" and "swinging a bat". They instead relate "swinging a bat" to the same body segments in "throwing a ball" ... and the result is a pronounced rear elbow fulcrum.

May 3, 2014
In the overhand throw the rear elbow serves as a fulcrum, much like the wrists serve as a fulcrum in the swing/throw of the barrel. In that sense, the wrists in the swing are like the elbow in the overhand throw.

2mwaz2v.gif

From my perspective, those that preach the "L" in throwing often do so to the detriment of the player.

Overhand and windmill.

May 7, 2015
SoCal
Just thought I'd chime in 1year later. Lots of growing on her part physically and batting lessons here and there. Anyway, here is a video of last nights batting lesson. I'm showing the whole video as it's easy to poach the best swing and slow mo it. It's funny to see the high swings per minute really affect her towards the end of the clip. She's getting tired.

Thanks to all of the help, tons of material to read up on

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2008
ohio
tumblr_ok1vm2d1gP1usf292o1_400.gif

I'll say your DD does swing hard....

Keep reading and learning.

I would have her stand the bat up a little taller. Think about stepping out soft on the front leg, with a flexed front knee. And work on sequence. Load first, then step out and separate. Meaning load the hips not the upper body or hands, then step out and separate.
Her swing gets pushed backwards and there is a bug squish. Try to fix those things.

SL

May 7, 2015
SoCal
June 2017 update

JUNE 2017 UPDATE...

We were working after practice, daylight was getting low and she was ready to go home. Anyway, I know she didn't strike the ball that well, but this was the only swing I took a video of. We were working on inside pitches, right on the black, hence the striking the ball way out front.

How does everything look?

Last edited:
May 7, 2015
SoCal
with a gif attached for easier viewing.

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/FwiGdAXeG3Rja" width="480" height="270" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/FwiGdAXeG3Rja">via GIPHY</a></p>

Jun 8, 2016
with a gif attached for easier viewing.

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/FwiGdAXeG3Rja" width="480" height="270" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a onclick="_gaq.push(['_trackEvent', 'Outgoing', 'giphy.com', '/gifs/FwiGdAXeG3Rja']);" href="https://giphy.com/gifs/FwiGdAXeG3Rja">via GIPHY</a></p>

Hard to tell from angle but where was her stride foot landing with respect to the ball. Tee might be a little too out in front which may be effecting how she goes after it...

May 7, 2015
SoCal
Hard to tell from angle but where was her stride foot landing with respect to the ball. Tee might be a little too out in front which may be effecting how she goes after it...

We were working on tight inside pitches with the outermost edge of the ball on the inside edge of the black on home plate. The ball is about 4 inches in front of the stride landing..

Sep 29, 2014
She is not really loading and coiling much or engaging her lower body still kinda handsy. The tell is in those first clip at batting lessons. Look at her back foot, I'm not sure you can find (always willing to be proven wrong) an elite swing where the back foot goes backwards. All your momentum and lower body releasing forward means you almost always see the back foot wanting to go forward; her foot loses contact then goes back. Maybe she is listening to a keep your weight back cue and is over compensating. I think she can do this because she has not stored much energy in the load. Also looks very bug squishy no forward component just rotational, just does not look like she is putting pressure down and forward just around. Anyway sorry if this isn't making sense just food for thought. Overall though think she looks close just need a few tweeks.

as an aside I would NEVER do whatever she was doing at the batting cage/hitting lesson taking one swing every three seconds is ridiculous you have no chance to properly prepare in between swings.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802