Critique / Help Series of Swings

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
Is there a reason that the swing was unable to be checked? This pitch looks to be way up in the zone.

Yeah, she thought she could hit it. Any girl who misses hitting any pitch, but in particular a "moving" pitch, thinks they can hit it. She guessed wrong! That is my point. She DID NOT know where it was going to be. The pitcher who threw it is a student of mine as well, moving to Calgary, Canada this past week. She throws 63-64 on her rise and curve.

gif here is of Dallas Escobar, Arizona State and Univ. Florida batter.

b8kck7.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

HYP

Nov 17, 2012
Here are two of my girls. Notice the same "uninformed" swing they both execute. How much shoulder drop do you see in the first girl? She nailed a rise-ball. She guessed right. And I can tell you she was in fact, looking for a rise-ball.

The second of my girls doing just what we were talking about and getting way too far under a rise-ball. She is trying to adjust her hands. She is working to tilt her box back more upright, but never made contact because her bat head had dropped so much. This is a small girl with a Miken 34/24 oz bat. I preferred she use a 34/23 but she has her own mind.

View attachment 3178 View attachment 3177

I responded earlier before I saw your edit. Based on your edit I have more questions.

The first girl, I would have to see another clip to come to any conclusions. Video is much easier to see the whole process. It appears this is after contact.

Do you honestly think that the 1 ounce of bat weight is going to make any difference? Come on man.

HYP

Nov 17, 2012
Yeah, she thought she could hit it. Any girl who misses hitting any pitch, but in particular a "moving" pitch, thinks they can hit it. She guessed wrong! That is my point. She DID NOT know where it was going to be. The pitcher who threw it is a student of mine as well, moving to Calgary, Canada this past week. She throws 63-64 on her rise and curve.

gif here is of Dallas Escobar, Arizona State and Univ. Florida batter.

Understanding that some times you just get beat. Sometimes you just swing at bad pitches. But, could part of the reason she couldn't check her swing is because of this?

In a connected position, the bat barrel stays near the shoulder,

Connecting to the shoulder and staying connected causes an earlier commitment.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
b8kck7.gif

So posters can see the gif that is being commented on.

Jul 10, 2008
Central PA
RDB, I know you've posted this before, but I forgot to copy and paste the directions into my notebook. Can you please resend how to post a GIF into this site? I really appreciate it, and I promise to pick up the slack the next time someone asks . . . again.

Thanks!

Mike

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
RDB, I know you've posted this before, but I forgot to copy and paste the directions into my notebook. Can you please resend how to post a GIF into this site? I really appreciate it, and I promise to pick up the slack the next time someone asks . . . again.

Thanks!

Mike

Original posted to help Mann:
No side of fence for me, nor camps. I camp alone. I will help anyone to help the girls. Heres what I do. Pic any gif for now. Right click on the gif. A box will open up down the bottom you will see "properties. Click on properties. This will open a box that will have the Click and drag the pointer across the URL address this will highlight the URL address. Right click on the URL highlighted address a box will pop up. Scroll down to copy. Click on copy. Click on ok. Box will close. Now go to the insert image box. Click open the box. At top of box you will see from URL. Click on the url box tab. Another box will open up it will say URL. Below the URL long box will be another box. There will be a box that has a check in it and will say. Retrieve remote file and reference locally. Uncheck the box. In the URL box paste your URL address that you copied. Click ok this will post the gif that you haved saved into your post. I hope this helps?

Jul 10, 2008
Central PA
Original posted to help Mann:
No side of fence for me, nor camps. I camp alone. I will help anyone to help the girls. Heres what I do. Pic any gif for now. Right click on the gif. A box will open up down the bottom you will see "properties. Click on properties. This will open a box that will have the URL address : Click and drag the pointer across the URL address this will highlight the URL address. Right click on the URL highlighted address a box will pop up. Scroll down to copy. Click on copy. Click on ok. Box will close. Now go to the insert image box. Click open the box. At top of box you will see from URL. Click on the url box tab. Another box will open up it will say URL. Below the URL long box will be another box. There will be a box that has a check in it and will say. Retrieve remote file and reference locally. Uncheck the box. In the URL box paste your URL address that you copied. Click ok this will post the gif that you haved saved into your post. I hope this helps?

Many thanks, RDB!

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX

Yeah thanks. I like it when people prove my point. If she knew where the ball was going to be, she wouldn't have swung up at it. But like Lucy in my post, she started the same way. And like Mendoza, she tried to fix the "box". She couldn't get the bat head back up. This might have been a home-run, don't know. But it was not met square! Why not? She didn't know where the pitch was going to be. She started her swing approach with a guess! Mendoza is in a different league from Lucie. Lucie is a good player in Europe. She would make almost any US DI team outside the top 20 for sure. But Mendoza is much stronger and bigger. Lucy is a 5'4" skinny girl.

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
I responded earlier before I saw your edit. Based on your edit I have more questions.

The first girl, I would have to see another clip to come to any conclusions. Video is much easier to see the whole process. It appears this is after contact.

Do you honestly think that the 1 ounce of bat weight is going to make any difference? Come on man.

I don't know. I am too stupid to know. Perhaps you should ask Alphonso Soriano? Since you are the genius and I am not, I will ask you. If it doesn't make any difference, why do the manufacturers make the different product weights, -9, -10, -10.5, -11, -11.5? And what is the difference between solid squared up contact and a pop-up? Inches? And if Mendoza had been able to get her bat up another 1/4", what difference would it have made? Kind of like driving a semi-truck, where the driver is actually driving the back tandem axles on the trailer, not the truck, you are pulling up the trailer-end of the bat, the bat tip.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragonAC