Critique / Help Series of Swings

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 10, 2008
Central PA
When that bat and shoulder drop, she has already assumed the pitch location. What if it was a rise-ball? Is this what you refer to as launch or turning the barrel? Marcus, I mean Teacherman too?

Why do you say she assumed the pitch location? It is very clear she identified the pitch location and drove the pitch. On a rise ball, I would say her mechanics would be no different. She would identify the ball up in the zone, and drive the barrel to the pitch. The "running start" created by the rearward launch doesn't mean the hitter is guessing when/where she decides to fire. Are all hitters who use are successful using this technique (including 18U Gold, NCAA, MLB, etc.) guessing on all the pitches thrown to them that they make good contact on? In order for what you say to be true, then all the elite hitters are good guessers?

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Why do you say she assumed the pitch location? It is very clear she identified the pitch location and drove the pitch. On a rise ball, I would say her mechanics would be no different. She would identify the ball up in the zone, and drive the barrel to the pitch. The "running start" created by the rearward launch doesn't mean the hitter is guessing when/where she decides to fire. Are all hitters who use are successful using this technique (including 18U Gold, NCAA, MLB, etc.) guessing on all the pitches thrown to them that they make good contact on? In order for what you say to be true, then all the elite hitters are good guessers?

NICE! ADJUSTABLITY!
Ability to deliver maximum power, in the shortest amount of time, at the very latest possible moment!

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
No doubt there's been a huge improvement and much more desirable mechanics shown by Knight's DD. One minor thing I'd like to see her do is assume a more balanced and athletic starting position. Bend at the waist and soften the knees will create a stronger base to launch the newfound power from.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face

Now I'm a little lost, so forgive me if I'm wrong I'm only trying to understand.

So you're saying there is no different tweaks to a high rise tailing inside as there is to an outside low curve? Let's say the ump gives an inch or so on the corners, how do you cover the 20" of the <-----> much less the verticle. Unless all you're trying to do is put the "barrel" on the ball.

So you're not "tightening" the swing for inside or "extending" for the outside? How can you put the 3-4" of the sweet spot on the ball without doing so? Core is always at the same angle? :confused:

Jul 10, 2008
Central PA
Now I'm a little lost, so forgive me if I'm wrong I'm only trying to understand.

So you're saying there is no different tweaks to a high rise tailing inside as there is to an outside low curve? Let's say the ump gives an inch or so on the corners, how do you cover the 20" of the <-----> much less the verticle. Unless all you're trying to do is put the "barrel" on the ball.

So you're not "tightening" the swing for inside or "extending" for the outside? How can you put the 3-4" of the sweet spot on the ball without doing so? Core is always at the same angle? :confused:

No. What I'm saying is that if you start the barrel early by rearward launch (as it's being called here, I've heard it referred to as "live and independent hands" by Candrea/Slaught, but it is a movement regardless of its name), it doesn't dictate the path of the bat to contact. You still have to adjust to pitch location. The lateral tilt will largely determine the height adjustability, while the the hands will determine the inside/outside path the barrel needs to take to get to the ball.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I think ( after re-reading ) I took
On a rise ball, I would say her mechanics would be no different.
out of context, which had me scratching my head. Now I see you were making more of a point on the rear launch.

Carry on.

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest

Coach, please try to follow along, its all about ADJUSTIBILTY, your back knee, will adjust everything as you swing.

Ok just kidding. I was taught to look either in, or out. And make a couple little cheats. Two strikes, hit the ball.

My dd also pitches. her coach, is a national champion, holds records. I took her there, because i can only teach pitching, up to the rocking k:). Wow, its a game, a guessing game, whats the pitcher going to do, what do i want her to do, what am i looking for, do not swing at anything else. back and forth pitcher hitter.

Today, with my taller student, i said stand really tall in your stance, make the pitcher, think low inside, and mack the low inside pitch.

this is the fun of the game.

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX

No, she guessed right! If you are hitting off a batting tee, you can identify the pitch location. When you initiate that shoulder angle, or front arm/bat angle, you are guessing, assuming where the pitch will be. That is early in the recognition process. Your hands in particular can make the adjustment if they are controlled. Where does a good drop ball break, visually? Where does a good curve-ball break, visually? You think that back shoulder or arm box can be established that late?

Don't put words in my mouth. What would be different is she would not be able to drop that back shoulder like that and stay on top of a rise-ball. The swing would change in that context.

Here are two of my girls. Notice the same "uninformed" swing they both execute. How much shoulder drop do you see in the first girl? She nailed a rise-ball. She guessed right. And I can tell you she was in fact, looking for a rise-ball.

The second of my girls doing just what we were talking about and getting way too far under a rise-ball. She is trying to adjust her hands. She is working to tilt her box back more upright, but never made contact because her bat head had dropped so much. This is a small girl with a Miken 34/24 oz bat. I preferred she use a 34/23 but she has her own mind.

Teresa.jpg Lucy.jpg

Last edited:

HYP

Nov 17, 2012
No, she guessed right! If you are hitting off a batting tee, you can identify the pitch location. When you initiate that shoulder angle, or front arm/bat angle, you are guessing, assuming where the pitch will be. That is early in the recognition process. Your hands in particular can make the adjustment if they are controlled. Where does a good drop ball break, visually? Where does a good curve-ball break, visually? You think that back shoulder or arm box can be established that late?

Don't put words in my mouth. What would be different is she would not be able to drop that back shoulder like that and stay on top of a rise-ball. The swing would change in that context. Here is one of my girls doing just that and getting way under a rise-ball. She is trying to adjust her hands, but never made contact because her bat head had dropped so much. View attachment 3177

Is there a reason that the swing was unable to be checked? This pitch looks to be way up in the zone.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA