Critique / Help Series of Swings

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 10, 2008
Central PA
No, she drops the back shoulder because she took lessons from some coaches here who say you start the swing by dropping the back shoulder to start "turning the bat".

She dropped the back shoulder because she thought it was going to be below letter high. She "knew" where the pitch was going to be, but I yelled at her in the middle of her swing saying, "no, drop-ball, or no, never mind, I think it is a change-up". Totally confused her. And she "knew" before she "didn't know", but in truth, she wished she had known! She hasn't spoken to me since. :) I have a question for you. One of these girls is the pitcher who threw that rise-ball. It is the tall dark haired girl, Stella, with her catcher; short hair. Can you tell me the outcome of the game considering I didn't ask them to smile? And how about that bicep on the little blonde, Mara Papucci, in the second photo. Can you tell me what position she plays? She is actually the best of the four at that position. My student is no. 2. Photo evidence!

View attachment 3186 View attachment 3187

Steve, there is nothing I can learn from you. I won't be responding to your posts any more. Good luck in Europe.

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
There is the proof - the barrel does not get launched rearward....

[video]http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j399/baseballgifs/MiguelCabrera/Cabrera_FB_highside_sync_zps31b2f45f.gif[/video]

You are very naive. When you have bat wrap, it has to unwrap. It unwraps, or uncoils, into the connected position. The wrist cock never changes. The knob faces the pitcher. The barrel is behind. Look at the high pitch gif. As I have said, pitch location affects launch or release time. But when two pitches are on the inside like this, the release time is the same. In both cases, the back elbow comes to the hip before release, the bat is horizontally backward, before the wrist cock changes, or bat head is released. There is more motion than in the Pujols swing. But the timing is not affected because the back elbow comes into position after toe touch. The timing is perfect in both swings.

HYP

Nov 17, 2012
No, she drops the back shoulder because she took lessons from some coaches here who say you start the swing by dropping the back shoulder to start "turning the bat".

She dropped the back shoulder because she thought it was going to be below letter high. She "knew" where the pitch was going to be, but I yelled at her in the middle of her swing saying, "no, drop-ball, or no, never mind, I think it is a change-up". Totally confused her. And she "knew" before she "didn't know", but in truth, she wished she had known! She hasn't spoken to me since. :) I have a question for you. One of these girls is the pitcher who threw that rise-ball. It is the tall dark haired girl, Stella, with her catcher; short hair. Can you tell me the outcome of the game considering I didn't ask them to smile? And how about that bicep on the little blonde, Mara Papucci, in the second photo. Can you tell me what position she plays? She is actually the best of the four at that position. My student is no. 2. Photo evidence!

View attachment 3186 View attachment 3187

The part about yelling. You are joking right? I don't know you that well so I am just confirming. Please tell me you are joking because there is no way you got those words out in the amount of time it takes someone to swing and even if you could no one could react to it in the middle of their swing.

HYP

Nov 17, 2012
I am sorry, but this is getting beyond profoundly stupid! His bat head is not committed because he uses connection, connection as we teach, without launching the bat, turning the barrel, his bat head follows his hands to connection at the hip, which occurs when his bat stops moving completely toward the ball.

That's OK if you think it is profoundly stupid. You stated this

Totally illogical. Once the bat tip starts moving, that produces the commitment.

I can only base my responses off of what I read. At what point in this check does Bautista become connected?

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
The part about yelling. You are joking right? I don't know you that well so I am just confirming. Please tell me you are joking because there is no way you got those words out in the amount of time it takes someone to swing and even if you could no one could react to it in the middle of their swing.

Yes, sarcasm. As if she has time to change once committed type of sarcasm. You evaluated my comment perfectly.

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
That's OK if you think it is profoundly stupid. You stated this

I can only base my responses off of what I read. At what point in this check does Bautista become connected?

Once the bat tip starts moving as in launch, release, it is committed. That is why you have checked swings. When the back elbow reaches the hip, or pant seam it is finished in the connection phase. The connection phase is from load to the elbow at the pant seam, because the wrists have not launched the bat head.

HYP

Nov 17, 2012
Once the bat tip starts moving as in launch, release, it is committed. That is why you have checked swings. When the back elbow reaches the hip, or pant seam it is finished in the connection phase. The connection phase is from load to the elbow at the pant seam, because the wrists have not launched the bat head.

OK. thanks. So you do not believe that the hands should stay connected to the shoulder the whole swing?

Connection is something that is achieved and passed through?

Again, thanks.

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
you guys are way over my head, but, the hands do STAY, right in front of that shoulder, for a good part of the swing. The whole swing, come on.

My question is, do the hands use the shoulder, as a platform, to drive from?

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
you guys are way over my head, but, the hands do STAY, right in front of that shoulder, for a good part of the swing. The whole swing, come on.

My question is, do the hands use the shoulder, as a platform, to drive from?

I would prefer to characterize it as the "frame", or arm frame, what we sometimes call the "box". That frame is the shoulders, and the arms in that "V" frame. The front arm determines the angle of the swing. The bat and front arm should be linear, as in a straight horizontal or diagonal plane. The shoulder tilts to accommodate that the tilt in the arm frame. They work together as one non-static unit. In other words, they move to accommodate the adjustments of the box to the pitch. This is done at the waist and hips to maintain balance.

04.27.softball.VIGNET.jpg 5-14_pl_softball_wins.jpg Hitting 2.jpg iStock_000003059041XSmall.jpg

This last photo shows an improper "frame" with the forearm and bat not lined up. The bat is almost horizontal, the arms diagonal.

_not linear forearm.jpg