Critique / Help Series of Swings - Part 2

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 4, 2012
Nice job Knight and daughter. Been the most constructive set of posts for one student that I have seen on this board. Now if I can just get my daughter (and the rest of our team) on this track. Lol.

R

RayR

Nice job, Olivia on the improved swings and Knight for the soundtrack!!

RE: lower back - I agree with Marcus that it looks very improved....but.....she still has an internal timing issue to work out - giving up a little too quick....still jumping at the ball a bit......which is awesome as it allows for even more improvement.

The bat turning looks really good - the back arm and barrel connection are much tighter and the front arm issue is pretty much gone....

Excellent work - please tell Olivia awesome job and that as much she may dislike the deep tee - she should keep challenging herself with it. How far back is the tee set?

Ray

Jun 18, 2010
Nice job Knight and daughter. Been the most constructive set of posts for one student that I have seen on this board. Now if I can just get my daughter (and the rest of our team) on this track. Lol.

Thanks bullethead. I hope Olivia's journey helps others on DFP.

knightsb, did I see her swing on Hi. Looks nice.

Thanks SB.

You might have seen her swing on HI.... in the last month I have registered at HI and BBD under the same user name. TM has been helping Olivia with the SnF drills, Rear Leg only drills, and her hand set.

For you moms or dads out there, pretty much everything we have been working on was covered in the blogTV episodes that can be found here. Scroll to the bottom of the page and start with SF1.

Excellent work - please tell Olivia awesome job and that as much she may dislike the deep tee - she should keep challenging herself with it. How far back is the tee set?

Ray

Thanks MTS,

.---------.
|...........|
|...........|
|...........|
.\........./.* between here
...\....../..* and here
......V

Last edited:
R

RayR

O1-22-13_zps041a6d7c.gif
O2-13-13_zpsa727477f.gif
O2-13-13c_zps00fbe95f.gif

Heel plant compare -

Oheelplantcompare_zpsc9eef37a.jpg

Oct 25, 2009
Great improvement!! I agree that she should keep working the deep tee. Throw mostly outside pitches when doing front toss, also; with the goal being to hit the right field gap. Look for outside outside pitch, turn on an inside pitch.

Jul 10, 2008
Central PA
knightsb, Tell O she's doing a fantastic job - her work ethic is something I wish all of my high school players had!

Things I would continue to work on (this is really nitpicky, but she's working too hard not to keep refining things!):

1. As everyone has mentioned, keep hammering away at the deep tee work. She needs to keep working on getting that feel of hitting the ball deeper. She'll get to see it longer and be able to adjust to speed and location in addition to being more powerful by hitting it deeper.

2. Her grip - She holds the bat deep in her palms, especially the top hand. When you hold it there, you're driving off of soft tissue (the gap between the thumb and the index finger), which isn't ideal for creating leverage. To improve leverage, I would have her start to hold the bat in the fingers, that way she'll be driving off of bone. Some people call it the "hammer grip" or "fishing rod grip." (I believe this photo is FiveFrameSwing's. It isn't mine, and I give credit to whomever it belongs to.)

Grip - Knuckles Unaligned 02.jpg

3. It looks like she short-arms the follow-through of her swing. This may sound odd, but even though she's short arming after contact, it can have an effect on her swing before contact. I would use the two-tee drill, where you place balls on two tees, one in front of the other, on the path of the bat and have her drive both balls. This will have her finish longer on a more elliptical path. See the MLB swing in this thread for an idea of what a good follow-through can look like. I also like to tell my hitters "Stay long" even after contact.

Keep up the great work!

Jun 18, 2010
sorry knight - I meant in relation to her back foot?

MTS, The x's represent where her feet are positioned before stride.

...........---------.
...........|...........|
...........|...........|
.xxxxx..|...........|
............\........./.* between here
..............\....../..* and here
................\../
..................V
.xxxxx..

Thanks for the before and after pics. That looks a lot better.

Jun 18, 2010
Great improvement!! I agree that she should keep working the deep tee. Throw mostly outside pitches when doing front toss, also; with the goal being to hit the right field gap. Look for outside outside pitch, turn on an inside pitch.

Thanks phreak, we will keep on with the deep tee and work the outside.

Things I would continue to work on (this is really nitpicky, but she's working too hard not to keep refining things!):
1. Deep tee work.
2. Her grip
3. It looks like she short-arms the follow-through of her swing.

Keep up the great work!

Thanks MountieSB, We will work on the above. Regarding #3, this may be a byproduct of me harping on her to not arm bar.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad