Critique / Help Series of Swings

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
I havent read the bazillion posts on this thread but the main most obvious problem is that she is way out front. She doesnt let the ball travel and all the mechanics have already gone to crap.

If this girl let the ball get deep she'd be putting the barrel on the ball using her core muscles not the wrist and weaker hand muscles.

She has improved a lot. A big bunch! The difference of opinion in these 500 posts has been the "barred" (straight front arm and when to start the barrel release, or wrist snap). Hitting the ball deep we all agreed with.

R

RayR

Yes, but weren't one of the ones who advised front arm drills and emphasis?

Wouldn't you agree now that the problem wasn't with the front arm - that it was merely a symptom of something else being off?

She has improved a lot. A big bunch! The difference of opinion in these 500 posts has been the "barred" (straight front arm and when to start the barrel release, or wrist snap). Hitting the ball deep we all agreed with.

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
The tip of the bat does go back. And the hands/wrists/forearms do turn the barrel to make the tip go back - but not towards the catcher....away from the second basemen for right hander is a good path to think of.

To clarify the hands/wrist/forearm usage - set up with your forearms and hands forming a triangle like below

LarsenTriangleG_zps155454d6.gif

When you turn the triangle correctly the rear elbow will drop and the front elbow elevates and barrel goes rearward away from the 2nd basemen - not towards the catcher.

When that bat and shoulder drop, she has already assumed the pitch location. What if it was a rise-ball? Is this what you refer to as launch or turning the barrel? Marcus, I mean Teacherman too?

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
Yes, but weren't one of the ones who advised front arm drills and emphasis?

Wouldn't you agree now that the problem wasn't with the front arm - that it was merely a symptom of something else being off?

I always advise front arm drills. And launching would not improve that. The problem was reaching for the ball for one thing. So you suggested that she rotate on her back hip (no problem here) and that solved it? I think Olivia and knightsb are smarter than we are. I think that is why it is gone!

Feb 3, 2013
yes the hip action, and the lower looks very good!

I am glad the "turn the TRIANGLE" works out also:)

It might surprise some that what you perceive as hip action contains a component that resists rotation of the hip.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
mts ' quote""" everything. Mann - turning the box as has been defined on these boards since the beginning as shoulder rotation driven or arm driven....turning the triangle is not....

Not true, But not sure what's in your mind, when one says "hitters box", but your words describe Exactly, word for word, the definition, Of Sparky Parkers, hitters box approach.
These words MTS......"When you turn the triangle correctly the rear elbow will drop and the front elbow elevates".

You're hitter, in the giff, turns the triangle, and extends (with swivel or pivot point) through it. A pass through position.

You're hitter, in the giff, turns the box, and extends (with swivel or pivot point) through it. a pass through position.

you see, not so different.

And Mann, that is what everyone else teaches. And "everything" is different. Some call it the arm box, some call it the arm frame. It is like the derogatory discussion that was offered about "bat barrel" instead of "bat head". I use both, more often "head". It is symantecs and nothing else.

R

RayR

Dodge, Duck, Dip, Dive, and Dodge...

Your answer is once again ridiculous....

I always advise front arm drills. And launching would not improve that. The problem was reaching for the ball for one thing. So you suggested that she rotate on her back hip (no problem here) and that solved it? I think Olivia and knightsb are smarter than we are. I think that is why it is gone!

Feb 3, 2013
Dodge, Duck, Dip, Dive, and Dodge...

Your answer is once again ridiculous....

What Mr. Huff may not wish to acknowledge is that the significant forward progress was made by wisely deciding to go in a different direction than the advice he offered.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA