Could you get any worse news before a grand final?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 13, 2010
My catcher has a broken foot. We only have nine. Thankfully, due to stupid rules at my association (which I now LOVE) if you've played 5 games for your club in any grade, you can play the finals for any team above yours. So we have bench players.

Of all the dumb luck!

Oct 18, 2009
i feel for you. we have a stud catcher on my dd's 12u team. our backup is a far 2nd (but getting better). if anything happened to our main catcher... we'd have problems. good luck. let us know how it goes.

Mar 13, 2010
I will. Only just found out this morning when I jumped on Facebook. We have other catchers, but I'm not as comfortable pitching to them (cannot catch change up's, even when I call them beforehand)

Have to get the pom-pom's and streamers ready though!

Jul 9, 2010
I understand your situation, but there is certainly worse news you can get related to players and their families, and unfortunately, we have gotten some of that news on Sunday before eliminations.

I won't go into any of it, because I don't want to be a total wet blanket, but there's worse.

It's all relative. Count all of your blessings, all of the time.

Mar 13, 2010
Update

Arrived yesterday only to find out that our second catcher had a bad back, and our junior catcher who was going to be sitting on the bench as back-up had jarred her fingers the night before! I pitched the first two digs, hit all my spots, threw hard and got the stuffing hit off the ball. Came off after the second dig and told my coaches I needed to come off as they were just hitting me. More frustrating with the point that both digs we got the first two out! Just could not get that third out for some reason. Second pitcher came on and did an amazing job. After the first four runs against us, we evened up in the bottom third. Our junior catcher came on and did an amazing job (even though the poor thing couldn't fit her hand into her catcher's mitt!) Top fourth they got another four runs in, but we got two back bottom four and evened up again in the 5th. Top sixth three up, three down. Bottom six, we pulled ahead for the first time by three runs, and were lucky enough that they were at the bottom of the order. Three up, two down. They'd had the foresight to put one of their top batters at eighth and she shirt a beautiful three bagger. Top batter, one of their juniors was up, got a couple of fouls up, but watched the third strike come through (with the bench halfway up with that pitch, as we knew what was coming!) Massive pile on for the win, which was not only a great game, but finished in my favour!

Only down side, their pitcher is known for abusing her teammates, but I have never seen a player get warned by an umpire for abusing their OWN team. She also apparently abused the junior who was struck out, as she was in floods of tears straight afterwards and even ten minutes later. (I was told this by a friend of hers) To make this 100% worse, she is the player who won the comp's overall 'Fairest and Best' To steal from a teammate later in the night, 'that smells like farm!' They seriously need to either rename the trophy (such as MVP) or eliminate people who don't deserve it. Because everyone at that presentation was quite annoyed over that award. No-one denies she's one of the better players in the comp (though in my biased opinion, we had a player in my team who deserved it more. Another girl did get runner up from my team) but she's certainly not fairest.

Have a slightly sore head now ;-)

Jan 7, 2009
Left Coast
LMAO right now--I know it's a typo, but the description of the late-game triple is priceless. I've felt that way about some hits as they left the infield,too. Please,please, don't edit it out. :0

K

Kingston

Well if only your main front line player get injured and before the grand final match. Then it could be the only bad news for you and anxiety come over your face. But anyhow best of luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KittyGoneWild