Could Such a Small Detail Cause Less IR?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2012
Oklahoma
I know this may sound extremly "nitpicky" but I was trying to figure out what causes some pitches to be inside (to a righty) and less of an elbow "plant" into the hip thus causing less IR achivement. I went through my DD's slow motion video from today and the only thing I could see was where the ball/arm is when she takes it out of the glove upon her push. I have slow the .gif down at the point at which the ball location is differnt and then you can clearly see in one .gif, the elbow is planted and good IR is achieved and in the other one the elbow is not planted as well and IR is achieved a little late. Could a few centimeters difference cause the timing to be slightly off?? I may be missing the forest for the trees but wanted to ask the group to take a look and see if you are seeing the same thing I am or if I am just being goofy and over analyzing things......thanks!!

huf3g5.gif

2mbm2h.jpg

Dec 3, 2012
West Coast
Look at how the back toe tracks. In the first gif there is a nice curve to her back foot. In the second one her drag is much straighter and she ends up trying to pitch around her hip pushing the pitch to the right.

Jul 14, 2008
Bommer, which pitch do you think is a better representation of good, or should I say "better" mechanics? The top or the bottom?

Oct 10, 2012
Oklahoma
Bommer, which pitch do you think is a better representation of good, or should I say "better" mechanics? The top or the bottom?

I was thinking the top .gif represented better mechanics with the exception of the forward lean after the ball was released. However, due to your question, I am questioning my thoughts.......what is your opinion?

Jul 14, 2008
That's what I thought..........Take a look at this..........The left side is the bottom clip..........

2dwccxf.gif

miyjwz.gif

The left side is clearly mechanically sound.......Balanced........Later more efficient I/R...........

Throwing inside is a result of good natural mechanics.........Because the ball is moving straight down the line from the right shoulder.........Which happens to be on the inside corner for a RH'd pitcher to a RH'd batter..........

In good I/R mechnics........The pitcher needs to learn how to throw outside........Not learn how NOT to throw inside.........

Bottom line........Learn to throw the INSIDE PITCH mechanics to the outside corner...........

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2008
One more thing. I'm not sure why you are focusing on the direction of the pitch vs. the direction of the arm swing..........You clearly cannot correct any "result" without first addressing the "cause".........

If you want your DD to have any "higher" level of success in the future...........Being concerned with why a pitch is inside should be the LEAST of your worries IMO........

Allowing her arm swing to continue it's current path because she "just can't correct it" is the same as allowing a pitcher to throw EVERY PITCH IN THE DIRT "because she can't correct it"...........It's a bad excuse..........

Mar 28, 2013
Looks like she is very close to locking up her elbow just before the snap. That is allowing her to close up to soon. I would have her lead with the elbow through the hip more and finish across her body a touch more. more spin, more movement, more speed

Jul 14, 2008
Regarding this statement:

"Bottom line........Learn to throw the INSIDE PITCH mechanics to the outside corner..........."

Think of it like shooting a gun.........Adjusting aiming point is exactly that. Marksman do NOT shoot an outside target by simply turning the barrels end to point to that direction..........They AIM the ENTIRE setup in that direction.........

This is why I've always said.........POWER-LINES are SUBJECTIVE..........Anyone who thinks that the power-line is ALWAYS a point from the center of the pitchers plate to the center of home plate is blowing smoke IMO..........

May 7, 2008
Tucson
power line: I had a parent proudly tell me that she just bought a piece of carpeting for her daughter to pitch on, and she said "And I put a piece of white tape, right down the middle of it." I just smiled and nodded - but she has never seen me draw anything down the middle of the pitcher's plate.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207