Correcting throwing (not pitching) issues

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 5, 2009
Bordentown, NJ
I'm looking for some drills/thoughts on ways to correct DD's throwing mechanics. (10yrs old)

She has a tendency to drop her arm to the side and throw across her body, sending the ball (way) off to the left of her target.

I found this video, which looked like some good drills to me, but wanted to get some feedback or other ideas

Basic throwing mechanics

Note this is a baseball guy, should I find something more softball-specific?

May 13, 2008
I haven't watch the drills yet, but there should be no difference for overhand throwing. Every softball player should be taught to throw like a baseball player. This will actually help her hitting as well. It is rare to see a girl with poor throwing mechanics succeed at a high level in hitting. For overhand throwing I like Chris O'Leary's essay on Proper Throwing Mechanics

Having said that, baseball accentuates a stronger throw over a quicker release. The higher you go the more you'll want your infielders to have a quicker release. In that case I'd recommend Howard Kobata.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I'm looking for some drills/thoughts on ways to correct DD's throwing mechanics. (10yrs old)

She has a tendency to drop her arm to the side and throw across her body, sending the ball (way) off to the left of her target.

I found this video, which looked like some good drills to me, but wanted to get some feedback or other ideas

Basic throwing mechanics

When you say dropping her arm to her side, do you mean the elbow is dropping? That's pretty common in girls, especially younger girls. It's where the phrase "throw like a girl" comes from. Part of it is we give boys little tiny baseballs to throw, and girls 11" or 12" softballs.

If that's the issue, try holding a foam garden pad, a swim noodle, your glove or one of those foam #1 fingers under her armpit and have her throw. If she drops the arm she'll hit the object so she'll be able to feel it. She'll likely work to not hit the object so her arm will stay up. It's the best thing I've found for correcting that isolated problem.

Ultimately, you'll want to teach full, proper mechanics of course. Thumb to thigh, raise it to the sky, wave bye-bye, let it fly!

Mar 2, 2009
Suffolk, VA
TimothyJ: ** It would help you if you get a chance to research and learn the difference between SMALL Arm circles (infield throws) vice OUTfield throws (BIG ARM CIRCLES)! IT KILLS me that EVERY YEAR I get a new set of outfielders that have NEVER been taught mechanics of an Outfielder's throw. (12:00 throws and BIG Arm circles to get that HIGH ELBOW and 12:00 rotation.)
Saves their elbows and shoulders and also teaches them how to throw more accurately with stronger throws using their bodies.

Jun 3, 2010
When you say dropping her arm to her side, do you mean the elbow is dropping? That's pretty common in girls, especially younger girls. It's where the phrase "throw like a girl" comes from. Part of it is we give boys little tiny baseballs to throw, and girls 11" or 12" softballs.

If that's the issue, try holding a foam garden pad, a swim noodle, your glove or one of those foam #1 fingers under her armpit and have her throw. If she drops the arm she'll hit the object so she'll be able to feel it. She'll likely work to not hit the object so her arm will stay up. It's the best thing I've found for correcting that isolated problem.

Ultimately, you'll want to teach full, proper mechanics of course. Thumb to thigh, raise it to the sky, wave bye-bye, let it fly!

My daughter has a bad problem with dropping the elbow. You mean hold the object there while she throws? That seems a little difficult. How about if I tape a piece of foam under her arm pit.

May 25, 2010
Sometimes young girls don't treat every practice throw like it's important, and sometimes, that trickles into games...it's often just a temp loss of focus as opposed to not knowing how to throw.

They have to want to make the throw properly every time, but not every kid does.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2010
SE. Georgia
Bro-inlaw uses i elbow strap device..I think it is called a throwmax. it seemed to have helped keep my 9 year old from shot putting the ball.

Apr 24, 2010
Used the ThrowMax with my player and it really helped. I would suggest doing this during the off season though. Remember we are working with muscle memory and you have to "break it" first. Most players have been throwing this way for a long time and you can't expect to fix it in a week during the season. It is a bit uncomfortable to wear, but I think that also helped speed progression. My player wanted if off as soon as she could, so she really worked hard and changing her throw.

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia

Basic throwing mechanics

I don't care for these drills. I used to teach similar to what this guy is teaching until I realized it's not the way I throw or how most people throw. I would recommend material from Hodge if you can find it.

When you throw how is your throwing arm positioned just prior to you triggering the throw? Do you trigger your throw with the ball up behind your head with the ball facing back? You might be surprised by the answer. I know I was.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez