Throwing issue

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
Is she separating her hands at her rear shoulder rather then at the chest?
I don't think so. I think @Bonesaw 's post (#22) is a good description of what she is doing (along with @Rolling Hard 's comment about the elbow getting too low) which is probably caused by a number of things (lack of resistance being one of them). We didn't do the water bottle drill so I will have her start doing that along with the other stuff we are doing.

Last edited:
May 17, 2012
Follow up post.

We worked on the throwing in the offseason, and she looks somewhat better playing catch, but the action is similar to what I put up originally when she throws in a game :cautious:

It is not an accuracy issue but as you can see she gets nothing on the ball.

It's hard for me to see her feet but...

If you are looking for more velocity she should not heel click on the throw. Instead of replacing the left foot with the right foot, she should crossover. The longer the stride with the left foot (when she catches the ball) will dictate the velocity. You can try this yourself and see/feel the difference.

The heel click is a quick pivot and is fine in certain circumstances but it wouldn't be my default.

Jun 8, 2016
It's hard for me to see her feet but...

If you are looking for more velocity she should not heel click on the throw. Instead of replacing the left foot with the right foot, she should crossover. The longer the stride with the left foot (when she catches the ball) will dictate the velocity. You can try this yourself and see/feel the difference.

The heel click is a quick pivot and is fine in certain circumstances but it wouldn't be my default.
I have never seen crossover taught to IF (OF yes) but yeah I can see how that would get more behind the ball. That said, so would cleaning up her throwing mechanics.

May 17, 2012
I think SS should have multiple throws in their bag. If she wants more velocity on a throw then crossing over is the solution.

Jun 8, 2016
@GunnerShotgun , do you not agree that her throwing mechanics are off regardless of whether she steps behind or replaces the feet..? Of course you might say it is too late to change her mechanics so focus on something else..which might be a fair assessment.

May 17, 2012
Does she throw with acceptable velocity when she warms up or plays toss with you? If so then it's her footwork at SS that should be analyzed.

If you are lacking the velocity that you would like in general then it's probably throwing mechanics and Wasserman is most likely your answer.

Oct 26, 2019
It’s hard to tell her arm action from the camera angle, but what I do see is her not following the throw. Her backside sort of act as an anchor and she recoils backward instead of following the throw to first.

I wouldn’t take the extra shuffle as a softball SS, but the following the throw is what I am talking about here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478