Correcting a lifting drag foot

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Carly

Pitching Coach
May 4, 2012
Pittsburgh
Make sure the knee stays pointed at the catcher. This is the exact part of the motion she's not getting so work on it:

stridedrivepartdemo.gif

First just the legs, then arms and legs stopping at the landing, then full motion without the ball, then finally with the ball. As soon as she hops have her put the ball down and mime the motion again till she gets it.

May 25, 2008
Pickerington Ohio
Make sure the knee stays pointed at the catcher. This is the exact part of the motion she's not getting so work on it:

stridedrivepartdemo.gif

First just the legs, then arms and legs stopping at the landing, then full motion without the ball, then finally with the ball. As soon as she hops have her put the ball down and mime the motion again till she gets it.

I have my pitchers do this exact same routine. I call it "sticking the landing". Two things that help keep the pivot foot gliding across the ground are a bit of reverse posture(leaning away from the catcher) and keeping the pivot leg bent, which the pitcher in Carly's vid is doing.

Aug 2, 2008
This problem cropped up with my daughter when she was around 10. I got this tip from this message board.
Put a piece of paper under her pivot foot and she must drag the paper with her. Whether that was what fixed her leaping or not I dont know, but she hasnt leaped to this day. BTW it wasnt a super quick fix but quicker than I thought.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragonAC