Correcting a lifting drag foot

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 29, 2013
Please forgive me if there is a post/thread on this subject. I have an 11yr old daughter that will not keep her drag foot on the ground..illegal pitch of course. It can be very noticeable and I'm concerned she will be called on it in old divisions. Any tips/help would be greatly appreciated! I've tried everything to my knowledge to correct this problem..

Paul

Mar 29, 2013
I would have never thought dragging on carpet, at this point ill try anything. When she does manage to stay in contact with the ground she's considerably faster. Dry power line runs is a breeze for her, but the minute that balls in her hand we are back to square one..I will keep you posted on any changes/results. Thank you all

Paul

Last edited:
May 17, 2012
Be sure she is pushing out and up (and not just up). Your wallet will hate you when she figures this out.

Or perhaps she has been watching a lot of college softball on TV.

May 18, 2009
What about a crow hop? How does one fix that? I have a friend who's DD is same age as mine and his DD crow hops. I'm not sure how to help him get it corrected.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Video would help see what is causing it. My DD's illegal drag was actually caused by a swimming glove hand and made worse by pre-turning her foot before dragging. Fixed the glove, fixed the issue - still happens when she doesn't keep her glove in.

Other drills to practice include putting a piece of string in front of the rubber - must move the string to be legal. Another away to keep the toe pointed in the right direction is to tape a tennis ball during practice to the inside of her foot to keep her turning it and help her drag.

Watching herself in the mirror pitching can help as well.

Crow hopping is generally due to really poor mechanics - again video would help diagnose what the cause is.

Both of these issues are sometimes not as easy to fix as 'stop doing it' or a quick drill fix - often there is a root cause that needs to fixed which you would not think is linked to the result.

Carly

Pitching Coach
May 4, 2012
Pittsburgh
Make sure the knee stays pointed at the catcher. This is the exact part of the motion she's not getting so work on it:

stridedrivepartdemo.gif

First just the legs, then arms and legs stopping at the landing, then full motion without the ball, then finally with the ball. As soon as she hops have her put the ball down and mime the motion again till she gets it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA