Correct BU Positioning

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 20, 2012
SoCal
Over the weekend, at my DD's 8u game, we had a BU that many of us felt was out of position on a play, and I'm wondering where he should have been. Situation: ASA, 2-man, 8u state tournament (explaining why we have 2 umpires for an 8u game), nobody on base. B1 hits a slow roller to F4, F4 comes up, fields the ball and overthrows F3 and the ball goes into the foul ball area between 1B and RF. F9 and F3 converge on the ball. Meanwhile, B1 has already taken 2B and began towards 3B. Following the "inside diamond / outside diamond" idea, the BU came inside and set up for a play at 2B. When B1 continued towards 3B, he stayed inside and followed her to 3B and ended up directly between F1 and F6. F3 has by then thrown the ball into F1 who turns to throw to F6 but holds up as she's about to fire a 10-inch softball into the back of the BU's head. I'm thinking he should have gone back outside in this situation, or where should he have been positioned?

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
Staying inside the diamond was correct, since it would be too difficult to get back to the outside and get to a good position to see a potential play at third.

It seems the issue here is that the BU did not proceed far enough and stopped in the throwing lane between the pitcher and third base. In this particular situation, the BU should have proceeded almost to the third base line to have a good look at any potential play at third. If he was in this spot, he would have been out of the throwing lane.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CentralCoastBulldogs