Confession - I cannot count to 3...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
Twice this week I lost track of outs in innings where we were up, and on the second out (which I thought was #3), I turned to the dugout and started calling my team to take the field. Needless to say, my base runners are smarter than me, and knew there were only 2 outs, but started in towards the dugout and were tagged out. I even had a clicker the SECOND TIME I did it. A new personal low in coaching...

Jun 24, 2013
I just like how someone gave him a clicker. That sounds like something I would do. :)

Edit:

When in doubt blame the AC.

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
One of my DD's games at States had an inning where the coaches on BOTH sides thought it was 3 outs and brought the kids into the dugout. The ump was following right along, too. The guy with the scorebook (me) had to set them all straight with a recap of the inning.

Jun 24, 2013
This is why I always teach my base runners, when left on base at the end of the inning, to only leave the field by continuing to round the bases in the normal pattern. This has helped us in several games as the defense left the field thinking it was 3 outs when there were really only 2 outs and we continued on anyways and scored. When it was pointed out that there were only 2 outs the runs/bases advanced counted as the pitcher was not in control of the ball in the circle. I also teach my defense that if there are runners on the base and 3 outs are called, for the SS to maintain control of the ball until the runners that were on the base reach the dugout. If they come running back towards the base she is to tag them out.

I too have asked some "stupid" questions in the heat of the game, like the time I thought I had runners on 1st and 2nd (only had runner on 1st) and I asked the blue for an infield fly call. He looked at me like I was stupid, and for a moment, I was.

Jun 22, 2008
One of my DD's games at States had an inning where the coaches on BOTH sides thought it was 3 outs and brought the kids into the dugout. The ump was following right along, too. The guy with the scorebook (me) had to set them all straight with a recap of the inning.

Any runners that left the playing field and stepped into the dugout would have then been out.

Aug 13, 2010
I bought myself a clicker to help me out. I was being made fun of by the parents for never knowing the count while coaching 1st base.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA