Confession - I cannot count to 3...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 1, 2010
This is why I always teach my base runners, when left on base at the end of the inning, to only leave the field by continuing to round the bases in the normal pattern. This has helped us in several games as the defense left the field thinking it was 3 outs when there were really only 2 outs and we continued on anyways and scored. When it was pointed out that there were only 2 outs the runs/bases advanced counted as the pitcher was not in control of the ball in the circle. I also teach my defense that if there are runners on the base and 3 outs are called, for the SS to maintain control of the ball until the runners that were on the base reach the dugout. If they come running back towards the base she is to tag them out.

I think this is a great idea. Maybe it only happens once in a blue moon, but when it does, your team will be ready.

I vividly remember seeing footage from a college game where the coach pulled the defensive team from the field after a dts and the batter came all the way around and scored.

Last edited:

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
I vividly remember seeing footage from a college game where the coach pulled the defensive team from the field after a dts and the batter came all the way around and scored.

You mean the Florida State game from this years CWS. That was insane. Couldn't believe it has happening as it was happening. I was watching the umpires and they were clearly indicating that the play was still live as the FSU girl ran back from near the dugout.

Anything can happen at any level. I was watching the ASA 18 Gold Nationals stream and watched a team do the 'Bunt w/ 3 overthrows, throw the ball all over the place and the batter scores' play people keep telling me goes away when they get older.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
christian_softballdad3298