Conference realignments

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
Also, how to take labs through teleportation.

Our local D1 often gets on buses wed or Thursday night missing 1-2 days of classes. How many days of missed classes will this add? Will it further shrink the majors kids can successfully complete while playing?

I swam D1 ages ago and was shocked at how much travel had increased even before this. We only missed classes for conference championships that I can remember.

The ability to get a quality education will be our top priority in choosing a college- so days of missed classes is a big consideration.
Grace Lyons got a Biomedical Engineering degree (with a very good GPA) so anything is possible as long as you are very disciplined (and your professors are willing to be flexible) but yeah the increased travel for some of these teams will make it very difficult.

Oct 15, 2013
Seattle, WA
Also, how to take labs through teleportation.

Our local D1 often gets on buses wed or Thursday night missing 1-2 days of classes. How many days of missed classes will this add? Will it further shrink the majors kids can successfully complete while playing?

I swam D1 ages ago and was shocked at how much travel had increased even before this. We only missed classes for conference championships that I can remember.

The ability to get a quality education will be our top priority in choosing a college- so days of missed classes is a big consideration.
There’s a reason so many softball players major in psychology or communications.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
After the first semester of my freshman year, I never took another class on a Friday. I always had off those days, so I suspect many of these girls will be able to schedule their classes likewise.

Nov 5, 2014
Many programs have over controlling, authoritative, narcissistic coaches
^^^^THIS!!^^^^^^^^

I honestly underestimated this and it actually made it more important for me to be able to attend DD's games. She needed the break of what little time she could get away from the program. We did not anticipate this at all and proximity was not a priority for us. We were lucky the majority of schools that fit the athletic and academic profile for her were in our region. This was for a kid who went to boarding school for all 4 years of HS so she was not unprepared to be away from home and family. The level of control over players lives was shocking to her

Apr 1, 2017
After the first semester of my freshman year, I never took another class on a Friday. I always had off those days, so I suspect many of these girls will be able to schedule their classes likewise.
Not sports related, just how he wanted to do it, but my son's schedule this fall has no Monday or Friday classes. Think only a single studio class on Wednesday. He runs all over campus, all day long, on Tuesday/Thursday though....

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Not sports related, just how he wanted to do it, but my son's schedule this fall has no Monday or Friday classes. Think only a single studio class on Wednesday. He runs all over campus, all day long, on Tuesday/Thursday though....
When I returned to college for my junior and senior years, after a six-year gap, I did the same thing. Tuesday and Thursday were long days, but I could work eight-hour days the other days to graduate debt-free.

Nov 5, 2014
and if they were not?? I live in OK..
🤷‍♂️ Like I said we were lucky!

Living in the northeast we had to travel all over the country to play high level softball competition but we can drive to a high percentage of the elite academic institutions in the country, you win some you lose some.

Here is my controversial advice, how you get along with the coach needs to be one of the top priorities in choosing a school. When talking with current players try to get them to open up about how they feel about the coach. Some will hesitate to be honest but you will be surprised what you can learn if you ask enough questions. I know the standard advice is not to pick your school based on the coach, I think most people who say that have no idea the level of influence the coach will have on your entire college experience. At the D1 level the amount of time you spend with coaches and teammates is enormous, if the coach is not a great fit for you it will be extremely difficult to enjoy your experience no matter how much you love the rest of the school.

Jun 8, 2016
Living in the northeast we had to travel all over the country to play high level softball competition but we can drive to a high percentage of the elite academic institutions in the country, you win some you lose some.
Yeah I know this..thanks 😉

Despite this nice tidbit of info you didn’t answer my question. I will be more direct: If you had to put relative weights on quality of academics and “accessibility of games to parents” what would they be…academics and accessibility equal? academics twice as important?

(and yes I realize it doesn’t exactly work like this..just play along 😂)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdwingnut