Conference realignments

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 7, 2016
"My dd almost made the mistake of playing for a school with a coach that sounded similar to this. I’m glad that dd went to a few of their camps because she was able to pick up on subtle things like how some of the players didn’t seem happy, and how the coach interacted with them and the recruits. We were also lucky that 3 people I knew pretty well had warned us about this particular coach. "

DD had similar "spidey sense" at certain camps/interviews. She sometimes had a difficult time pinpointing evidence, if you will, but usually somewhere down the line, we found that her intutition was correct. If your DD has a former player/coach who is their private batting/pitching coach, they can be a wealth of inside info on programs. Cultivate that resource but always keep in mind its one person viewpoint.

As a parent, I was always concerned about the "cultish" behavior of some programs. Perhaps its my DD's (and mine, I suppose) personality, but we both tend to introversion and need a "breather" from folks at times, as well as having varied interests. Try to get a sense of those types of commitments required by a program as choices narrow, it can make a world of difference in how a student athlete enjoys their time on campus.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
Heard of real stories where the team loses and the coaches would hop on the bus to go home for a long trip and not stop for food. Both teams usually has tons of transfers. One team is very successful at the D2 level and the other just joined the Big XII.
DD's coach would do that too. However this was D3 where the coach drives the van and the rides ranged from 1 to 3-1/2 hours, so they weren't exactly emaciated. Losing wasn't the only criterea, it was more of when they played like horsesh** and didn't give their best effort, so not all losses were a hunger strike.

If I were a coach, I'd be stopping for food 'cause I like food!

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
DD's coach would do that too. However this was D3 where the coach drives the van and the rides ranged from 1 to 3-1/2 hours, so they weren't exactly emaciated. Losing wasn't the only criterea, it was more of when they played like horsesh** and didn't give their best effort, so not all losses were a hunger strike.

DD had away game bus trips 7 hours, 6 hours, 6.5 hours. Coach liked to stop in my DD's opinion way too much. She said let's power through and keep going!!!

May 17, 2023

I'm with you on that one!! Plus I hope we have better ways to motivate players in 2023 than withholding food. Would think consistent and healthy nutrition habits would be very important for all college athletes.

And don't get me wrong I'm all for tough coaches that really push players. I always loved those type of coaches! But some of the controlling things we hear about start to drift from toughness into creepiness.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I'm with you on that one!! Plus I hope we have better ways to motivate players in 2023 than withholding food. Would think consistent and healthy nutrition habits would be very important for all college athletes.

And don't get me wrong I'm all for tough coaches that really push players. I always loved those type of coaches! But some of the controlling things we hear about start to drift from toughness into creepiness.
This is an area that is generally ignored, as far as I know. Do college coaches monitor or insist athletes have a nutritious diet? Supplements? With some college coaches being so controlling I am surprised more don't control the players diets. Could a coach get better performance out of athletes that ate healthier?

Jan 20, 2023
This is an area that is generally ignored, as far as I know. Do college coaches monitor or insist athletes have a nutritious diet? Supplements? With some college coaches being so controlling I am surprised more don't control the players diets. Could a coach get better performance out of athletes that ate healthier?
When I swam in college the 90s we had to meet with a nutritionist who was on staff in the athletic department. I would be surprised if this isn’t bigger now that we know even more about the impacts.

May 27, 2013
I would think that the bigger D1 programs might have a nutritionist who outlined daily caloric intakes? I could be way off about that though.

Jan 20, 2023
I would think that the bigger D1 programs might have a nutritionist who outlined daily caloric intakes? I could be way off about that though.
When we did it (D1) the nutritionist had the dining hall menus and we had to go through and highlight what we wanted to eat based on meeting protein and certain nutrient requirements. It was never based on calorie count- but just on making sure our choices were meeting healthy fueling requirements. We had a few kids whose eating habits could be considered disordered - so I’m not sure if that drove it. It wasn’t strict that we had to follow it- but more educational - so we learned about better choices.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00