Conference realignments

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 27, 2013
When we did it (D1) the nutritionist had the dining hall menus and we had to go through and highlight what we wanted to eat based on meeting protein and certain nutrient requirements. It was never based on calorie count- but just on making sure our choices were meeting healthy fueling requirements. We had a few kids whose eating habits could be considered disordered - so I’m not sure if that drove it. It wasn’t strict that we had to follow it- but more educational - so we learned about better choices.
Definitely a nice perk to have available on campus.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
So the college coaches are going to expect you to bust your rear in the weight room, maintain good grades and run then crap out of you in practice but not be concern over what kind of fuel is in the tank? Think they are missing out on an opportunity. Even if they just had protien, vitamin packed fruit and veggie smoothies after lift would be a start. At least they would know they were getting some quality calories to start the day off.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
So the college coaches are going to expect you to bust your rear in the weight room, maintain good grades and run then crap out of you in practice but not be concern over what kind of fuel is in the tank? Think they are missing out on an opportunity. Even if they just had protien, vitamin packed fruit and veggie smoothies after lift would be a start. At least they would know they were getting some quality calories to start the day off.
Strength and Conditioning had chocolate milk available after lifting for the athletes. D3.

May 27, 2013
I think at the schools where a lot of the money does not go towards athletic programs you‘d find this to be pretty common.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
I think at the schools where a lot of the money does not go towards athletic programs you‘d find this to be pretty common.
I don't know if y'all remember when Mike Lotief got fired from ULL years ago. One of the things that was unequal compared to the men's sports was after work out protein shakes. Softball players were not allowed to have any. The softball team didn't have medical personnel on site either. He was fighting to get these things for his players and I think he was too loud for the administration.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
We've been preaching the nutrition angle with my DD's for years, one of our early TB orgs had a Coach who would really emphasize it (during college prep mtgs (recruiting/academics/etc) he would always have information and talks about it's importance. My twins just returned to campus (DIII) for their Senior year and I don't know if nutrition has been discussed once along the way by either of the two Head Coaches or any of the staff they've had. Most (definitely not all) of their teammates do an adequate job with it but it certainly could be better with more support from Admin.

Nov 5, 2014
At DD's school, mid major, they have an athletic department called Peak Performance that is tasked with providing services to student athletes in a number of areas including, academic support, career counseling, sports psychology, sports medicine, nutrition, leadership and mental health etc.. besides consulting with each athlete on nutrition needs/goals they make protein shakes, bars, fruit, granola, and supplements available in the athletics center. My DD almost always grabs protein bars, nuts and fruit to keep her going in between classes.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
At DD's school, mid major, they have an athletic department called Peak Performance that is tasked with providing services to student athletes in a number of areas including, academic support, career counseling, sports psychology, sports medicine, nutrition, leadership and mental health etc.. besides consulting with each athlete on nutrition needs/goals they make protein shakes, bars, fruit, granola, and supplements available in the athletics center. My DD almost always grabs protein bars, nuts and fruit to keep her going in between classes.
Now we are getting there. Peak Performance. Great idea.

May 27, 2013
This is awesome! She is very lucky to have this available.

Jun 8, 2016
I used to eat 8 whole eggs with oatmeal for breakfast when I was in college..I made sure to sit in the back of the room for classes.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00