Conference realignments

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 17, 2023
The sooner these crazy coaches get exposed thru the transfer portal and start having losing seasons the better, IMO. There are plenty of successful non crazy coaches that should benefit.

Witnessed interesting situation along those lines. Had a girl we knew playing at a D1 school near us so went to see game and talk to her after. So we were fairly late leaving and other team had big group (like 20-30) of people who appeared to be mostly parents gathered away from stadium in parking lot.

As we walked by sounded like the start of a mutiny on a pirate ship. They were going nuts about the coach being crazy psycho. Out of curiosity followed their portal activities after the season. Yes they had 5-6 enter right away but none after and brought in few goods ones. Plus kept all their recruits. None of players that left were impactful.

May 17, 2023
Yeah maybe the coach was “crazy psycho” because their little Suzy wasn’t getting PT…

Most likely. Or maybe coach really is crazy but kids are willing to put up with it because like the school, enjoy their teammates, etc.

That many parents I thought they would be losing half the kids or coach gone at season end. But nope show goes on.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Heard of real stories where the team loses and the coaches would hop on the bus to go home for a long trip and not stop for food. Both teams usually has tons of transfers. One team is very successful at the D2 level and the other just joined the Big XII.

Jun 8, 2016
Heard of real stories where the team loses and the coaches would hop on the bus to go home for a long trip and not stop for food. Both teams usually has tons of transfers. One team is very successful at the D2 level and the other just joined the Big XII.
Yeah there are coaches out there who have no business coaching. That said there always two sides to every story 🤷🏽‍♂️

May 27, 2013
So dd is at a D3 school and some of the schools within her conference are 6 hours away. I know it’s not across country but would roughly be about the same time as a cross-country flight. They play DH on Sat/Sun. She sometimes has to miss Friday classes to make the bus. She tries as best as she can to get most of her work done during the week, as she gets car sick if she tries to read on the bus. She communicates frequently with her professors as to when she can take tests or complete labs (she’s a bio major). Usually she’ll get labs done in between other classes if she has a decent break in the middle of the day.

The closest school to us in her conference is hers, so I try to make most of the home games (4.5 hours away). That means 4 games in a weekend which is nice. I will watch her other games online as the conference has their own web site that broadcasts all the games.

Most parents take advantage of the spring training trip to Florida where we usually can catch 12 games. We have girls from all over the US so some parents I’ll only see then.

Mid-week non-conference games are more local but again, I usually catch them on the internet.

Away games (if I make it) I only get to see her after the last game for about 10-15 minutes. Home games we will do dinners together as a family. Florida we get 2 days with them when they have no games. Otherwise it’s about 20 min after last game of the day, and one night the team and families have dinner together.

Her ”closeness” to home and my ability to see her play had no bearing on her college decision. It was 99% about the academics for her.

Nov 5, 2014
Yeah I know this..thanks 😉

Despite this nice tidbit of info you didn’t answer my question. I will be more direct: If you had to put relative weights on quality of academics and “accessibility of games to parents” what would they be…academics and accessibility equal? academics twice as important?

(and yes I realize it doesn’t exactly work like this..just play along 😂)
Quality of academics was number 1,2,3&4 in our top 3 list of criteria when looking for a school so I'm probably not the right person to ask😂

Just wanted to point out what I observed this first year as I never expected my DD to "need" to see me but it turned out to be very helpful to her during some difficult times. If I was doing it over, proximity which carried zero weight for us in her search would still pale in comparison (for your game I will say academics 5x more important) but we would at least consider it.

May 27, 2013
^^^^THIS!!^^^^^^^^

I honestly underestimated this and it actually made it more important for me to be able to attend DD's games. She needed the break of what little time she could get away from the program. We did not anticipate this at all and proximity was not a priority for us. We were lucky the majority of schools that fit the athletic and academic profile for her were in our region. This was for a kid who went to boarding school for all 4 years of HS so she was not unprepared to be away from home and family. The level of control over players lives was shocking to her

My dd almost made the mistake of playing for a school with a coach that sounded similar to this. I’m glad that dd went to a few of their camps because she was able to pick up on subtle things like how some of the players didn’t seem happy, and how the coach interacted with them and the recruits. We were also lucky that 3 people I knew pretty well had warned us about this particular coach.

I proceeded to do an internet search on this coach and what I was being told by my acquaintances was also out there on the Web, as well. Always, always do your research!!

May 17, 2023

My DD is emotional enough after a loss, can't imagine adding hours of hangry on top of that.

Bet the coach would feel differently if a teacher requested they not allow food on the ride to the games because they did poorly on test.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aclee4414