Conference realignments

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
whether or not a parent can attend the games should be pretty low on the list of worries when it comes to extended travel..
When the family is determining the right fit, this is one of the various contributing factors. Vacation time, flight costs, car rental costs, hotel costs, food costs. Just like TB, you choose a team based on these factors too, but now you are not only paying for college costs, you are also paying travel costs.

Believe it or not your kids will enjoy seeing familiar faces in the stands. You may only get 10 minutes to spend with them before they hop on a bus to the airport or on their way back to school. If your coach is nice, you will get to take them to dinner after the Friday night games. They need time away from their teammates and they get to decompress and unload. Many programs require the players to eat together no matter what.

Jun 8, 2016
When the family is determining the right fit, this is one of the various contributing factors. Vacation time, flight costs, car rental costs, hotel costs, food costs. Just like TB, you choose a team based on these factors too, but now you are not only paying for college costs, you are also paying travel costs.

Believe it or not your kids will enjoy seeing familiar faces in the stands. You may only get 10 minutes to spend with them before they hop on a bus to the airport or on their way back to school. If your coach is nice, you will get to take them to dinner after the Friday night games. They need time away from their teammates and they get to decompress and unload. Many programs require the players to eat together no matter what.
I said it was low..not that it wasn't on the list. I also said it should be the kid who decides whether that is important, not the parents. I ain't telling my kid she cannot go to X school because I cannot afford to go to her games..that's stupid. Even bringing it up as a determining factor would be selfish. To be completely honest, I hope my kid gets far enough away from here where it is going to be an issue...

My wife ran track at Tufts and was from HI. Her parents saw her run once (she had a meet around the time she graduated)....she survived.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2013
Texas
My wife ran track at Tufts and was from HI. Her parents saw her run once (she had a meet around the time she graduated)....she survived.
I played rugby in college, my mom saw me play twice. She was 1 hour away. We were feral in the 80's/90's. Your wife's parents were going to fly no matter what program she chose, unless she found a program on the island.

Jun 8, 2016
Your wife's parents were going to fly no matter what program she chose, unless she found a program on the island.
That wasn't the point..the point was she survived them not going. Of course she had a wonderful boyfriend who would go to her meets so I am sure that helped... :LOL:

Jun 8, 2016
Look if my kid tells me "Dad, I really would like you to be able to go to my games" then (after I pick myself up off the floor) it will become part of the conversation.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal

Many programs have over controlling, authoritative, narcissistic coaches.

Jan 20, 2023
I was just thinking about this the other day. Stanford/Cal going to the ACC would be even "better"..they would need to drop the A if that happened (although it looks like that may not happen)

The players should be made to take a class titled "How to study in planes,trains and automobiles (and the occasional bathtub when your teammates are not cooperating)"
Also, how to take labs through teleportation.

Our local D1 often gets on buses wed or Thursday night missing 1-2 days of classes. How many days of missed classes will this add? Will it further shrink the majors kids can successfully complete while playing?

I swam D1 ages ago and was shocked at how much travel had increased even before this. We only missed classes for conference championships that I can remember.

The ability to get a quality education will be our top priority in choosing a college- so days of missed classes is a big consideration.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spinner55