Concerned with DD injury

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
She is 11.
She has plenty of time to get it all back. We took long breaks every year on purpose. My dd played other sports in school and frankly I didn’t want to sit in my cold pole barn catching in January/February.

Coming back from an injury is obviously different. Just folllow the doctors and other medical professionals advise. When she is cleared to pitch, ease into it.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
I know a current D1 pitcher who missed her entire HS junior season due to injury, and lost her senior season because of Covid. I know a recently graduated D1 player, a very good hitter, who wasn't even playing softball at your DD's age.

Your 11yo will be fine...let her heal.

Jan 6, 2018
I recommend you let her take the time, then just start from scratch when cleared. My kids usually take 3 weeks or so to work up to full pitch. It’s an opportunity to work on stuff you may have put off since she had to pitch all the time.

Examples with my DD: Broken ankle in plant foot = time to fix monkey butt and learn brush trigger. Stress fracture in hip = time to fix drag foot collapsing.

Not that we wouldn’t have worked on those things, but medical reasons to take it slow helped her focus and be patient. With your DD not allowed to push you have a golden opportunity to perfect arm whip when she’s allowed.

Jul 14, 2018
Looking for some comforting advice...

Has anyone gone through this? How did your DD recover and how did they perform 6 wks no practice or anything???

DD had a similar injury last summer (medial tibial stress, no fracture). She shut down completely for four weeks leading up to TCS Nationals, which she didn’t want to miss. Picked up right where she left off.

At 15, DD had a deeper reserve of experience than your daughter, but she’ll be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 4, 2018
Looking for some comforting advice... My DD had a very slight fracture in push off leg(tibial tuberosity) about 3 wks ago, So for the last 3 wks she's been in a fixed brace, Today DR removed brace but have another 3 wks before he will release her. My concern is how will this affect her, if at all not being able to practice with her legs at all l, We recently began arm mechanics again to get familiar but an very concerned on how she'll perform.

Has anyone gone through this? How did your DD recover and how did they perform 6 wks no practice or anything???

We take 6-8 weeks off every Christmas. Zero pitching.

Always (well, last 3 years) comes back stronger, faster, better. Pitched her first game in 2023 three days ago and hit new in-game PR and looked amazing. More spin than ever before, more speed than ever before.

I hope you and DD experience the same.

Oct 4, 2018
Thank goodness! Yes Dr yesterday removed the brace allowing her to now walk fully without a brace of some sort, His only stipulation was she could not under any circumstance use that leg to push off of anything, or squat, etc... If we see she does, we are to put it back on. Hes given her an additional 3 wks before shes allowed to do anything with it. Hopefully it goes by quick lol

Do not disobey doctor's orders. Nothing about 11 year old softball is worth prolonging this injury. I know you know this. The break is good for her, mentally and physically. Perhaps you should take them more often going forward.

Jan 3, 2023
Do not disobey doctor's orders. Nothing about 11 year old softball is worth prolonging this injury. I know you know this. The break is good for her, mentally and physically. Perhaps you should take them more often going forward.
I believe you and everybody else is absolutely right on taking breaks, i guess i just always worried she would lose speed or just mechanics overall. Ill be doing this from now on for sure, She's eager to get back out there especially still going to practices to cheer her teammates on. Don't remember the last time she had such a desire to hit the field lol

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles