Compromising your swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
San Rafael, Ca
howard, you have ESP too, able to retort in spite of the ignore feature.

You said something about looking at film helped you figure out what can make the MLB hiitters better and it has something to do with Slaught's info and handpath.

how about being more specific and less sarcastic in explaining yourself.

I very much like the if you can throw you can hit approach.

The single most important thing fastpitch coaches can do is help kids learn a good overhand throw.

Oct 19, 2009
I’ve been a member of this forum for a short period of time, I have a 15 YO daughter who loves SB. I have coach although this year due to health reasons I have not coached. My daughter and I attended camps at Georgia and Alabama, she won a offence player a award from GA for 13 – 18 when she was 13 at the summer camp. I considered her to be a good hitter. I started reading Howard’s post and others, I tried some of the suggestions out myself and always do that before I try it on any kid, and like what I was seeing. I used many of the suggestion made by Howard and others. It has improved my daughter’s swing so much, she went from a good hitter to a great hitter. Last tournament in 6 games she saw 4 hittable balls every thing else was way out of the strike zone and it was no accident, we’re working on hitting balls out side the strike zone to eliminate some of the intention walks. She is hitting line drive after line drive, she is 14 for the last 15, not counting walks, the first bat she took a call third strike, from then own 14 for 14.

I took my daughter to the Got Bustos clinic in February, here in Georgia, I figured there was more to learn and to see how she was progressing with learning what Howard had described on this forum, not only did she and I learn, we also met a very inspirational woman.

I go to camps on hitting, read books and read information such as this forum to learn to help my daughter and other kids on our team or any kid who ask for help, I don’t charge anyone, I only ask for dedication and find few who are willing to pay the price. I go to these camps, read and learn as much as I can. If I learn something we’re already doing it reinforces that I am on the right path and if I learn something new I can use to help the kids so much the better.

There are some aspects of the swing that I believe that you can over exaggerate to get the hitter to feel the movement in the swing, example the reverse had drill from Howard for extension, and they are drills that one would want to burn the muscle memory in for the long haul. We work on everything from setting on the bench and picking up pitch patters, what to do in the hole, on deck, preparing to hit, and when at bat, how to step in the batters box, etc.

As far as style over mechanics, I believe that some style can hinder the success of a hitter, that having the bat/hands too high at the beginning of the swing, bat/hands being too far back at the beginning of the swing, wrapping the bat too much can hinder success. I can’t say that I’m into getting everyone to be cookie cuter like, but be in a position where you as a hitter have the best chance for success.

There is probably not a person on this forum that I have not taken something from, and I appreciate all of you.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpalesse