Compromising your swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Erik thanks again as I got another laugh!

Evolve with us!

I like the assumption that is made verses reality.

Truly an amazing process....ENT verses MLB and that rhymes!

"you may be "screwing around" with more people than you think." Should I consider this as a threat?

If it did not work why do they keep coming back and why do the college coaches recruit them?

How many do you you have Tom? Just curious since you are an expert on the MLB elite swing pattern?

I understand Tiger needs some help and you seem to know a lot about golf, so maybe this could be an opportunity if the MLB thing does not work out.

Howard.
All this time and they have not figured out, you have a program, it works for you and the kids.
They are playing rec, travel ball, high school and on college teams, and having success at all levels.

So is this a discredit thing, or are they trying to help you get better.

Straightleg

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2009
Ontario, Canada
I know that I always take what Tom says with a grain of salt. Recall a similar thread a couple months ago (time flies - could have been longer) when Tom "tattles" on another forum that Tewks and Chris O'Leary are battling on this forum. there is no battle - only information. Get over it Tom. Most of take what Howard says, and Tewks and FFS and put all that in a hopper and come out with some fantastic stuff! Not sure if Tom is trying to help people get better, but Howard, Tewks and FFS and others are and I hope they continue here.

Just my humble opinion.

May 7, 2008
San Rafael, Ca
then maybe hitter will try a serious answer to FFS question:

Hitter, I’m still curious what you believe the best MLB hitters are “not getting” and how much higher their averages would be if they “got it”.

You commented that it was “mechanics over style” … but you left it at that. What would you have MLB hitters do differently that would improve their averages?

Hitter

Banned
Dec 6, 2009
then maybe hitter will try a serious answer to FFS question:

Hitter, I’m still curious what you believe the best MLB hitters are “not getting” and how much higher their averages would be if they “got it”.

You commented that it was “mechanics over style” … but you left it at that. What would you have MLB hitters do differently that would improve their averages?

Tom I am tired of being your teacher and 3DD's DAD is correct as I get PM's and emails about you all the time with your involvement with the other site.

Stick with them as you are truly a role model in your own mind. Do your wives know how you people represent your families?

What I find humorous is that with all of this knowledge you and your buddies have and the MLB stats have basically stayed the same, between .257 and .270.

So whoever your gurus are must not have the attention of the professionals as it would appear no one is listening or capable of being able to make the improvements that contain the MLB elite swing pattern you feel to know and understand so well. Since you are a doctor you may want to seek a second opinion!

I have spent enough time detailing what and how we do it and you can choose to listen and try it or not however I have wasted enough time with you.

What university coaches or schools are you working with currently? Just curious? Travel teams? High schools? Students?

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2010
FFS often offers positive information, and is quite adept at posting/manipulating videos. I appreciate that aspect of his contributions. Personally, I find his practice of continual questioning those posters that he clearly disagrees with distasteful. I guess this is an attempt to play "gotcha". Hopefully the HI cabal will resist the urge to personally snipe those accomplished coaches that generously provide detailed instruction to beginners, like myself. Discussfastpitch has been invaluable to me.

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
With all of this good information on hitting you would have thought the MLB batting averages would be at least .300 however it has stayed around .257 to .270 for a long time, so maybe you need to coach at the MLB level if you have a solution to raising the averages and if hand path is so important how can they look ugly and hit the heck out of the ball doing it?

Some one needs to tell the MLB hitters they need to increase their averages or they have flawed swings no matter what video or player they are studying as they are not getting it or the averages would be higher!

Howard

The above comments remind me of the Glodal Warming debate. The one question that no one on either side of the Global Warming debate can answer is "What is the ideal or correct temperature of the Earth"? Is it 76.3...72.1...82.4 etc?

What is the ideal or correct batting average?

I don't buy into the whole "modern day MLB players aren't getting it argument". This entire argument is based on the flawed assumption that the old timers didn't get it. The line of reasoning goes like this..."Modern day players should have better batting averages than the old timers because today we have computer technology and know more about the swing than ever before."

The reality is that the old timers did get it. Many baseball purest still say that Ted Williams had the best mechanics ever. John Kruk of the Phillies once said "Ted showed us the way".

The HLBB swing has been studied for 50 years and there is nothing new to be learned. Just different ways to explain it. Which isn't to say everyone has it figured it out. But clearly many of the old timers like Williams and Mays had it figured out. Maybe the reason why averages haven't gone up is because the old timers knew what they were doing.

Plus in today's game there are set up men and closers. As well as more pitchers throwing Sliders and Split Fingered fastballs. So while the pitching across the board has improved in MLB the hitters are still using wood bats.

In fastpitch it's just the opposite. The pitching has pretty much stayed the same, while the the big improvement has come on the hitting side in the form of high tech bats being designed by NASA. Give modern day baseball players minus 8 composite bats and let's see what happens to MLB hitting stats.

Last edited:

Hitter

Banned
Dec 6, 2009
Wellphyt

I was being sarcastic for sure as everyone has the swing mechanics figured out and count frames, review video and still with all this nothing has really changed the averages and the process looks like it is in control as the variation has only been.257 to .270 for several years.

In my opinion way too many people try to explain what they know in ways to make them self appear smarter then they actually are. Perhaps because they really do not understand how to teach it and forget we are working with young kids, parents and coaches.

They try and explain things in ways that make it more difficult to understand.

Although TSW named his book the Science of Hitting anyone could read it and walk away with more knowledge and teach someone.

I have been doing this for 22 years now and was fortunate to work at the ISF level for over two years and we took the Chinese team from 6 place in the world to 4 place.

Being able to learn from Don Slaught , Crystl Bustos and many others along the way, I have tried to give back something to our students parents and coaches.

Having worked with boys up to 1996 and then started working with girls I have found it too be more rewarding and see the differences in how the girls learn and how their bodies work differently than ours and it has helped us very much and the girls are the data which reflect the differences in what and how we teach.

When I first starting working with the Wright State Coaching staff, we doubled their offensive out put and I think it was 2007 and we went from 22 home runs to 67 in less than a year.

We taught them how to get balanced first, how to throw next and introduced them to a flexed front knee and what a weight shift was and worked from the ground up and used a cookie cutter approach over the fall and they implemented their style during the winter.

It worked for him!

Coach Larabee took the time to learn our system and approach to how we teach the girls and it paid off. He is now Arkansas head coach and this is his first year there and he appears to be making a difference and we still stay in touch. I look forward to working with him again this summer.

We can affect change in the fast pitch world and that is where my focus is and we have had success doing it.

I keep learning however I have become more selective as too who I listen too as I have more gray hair and that is from experience of actually working with players, parents and coaches!

At the MLB level I see style as way to big verses mechanics and what got them their may not keep them there.

Convincing some one who is making millions to change does not happen easily, which could be part of the problem of why the numbers have not changed.

Unless there would be incentives involved in their contracts for doing better why change anything? They still can make millions doing it the same way!

I feel the influence of the players from Japan is causing some to re think how they view hitting and how they were taught in my opinion.

Thanks Howard

May 7, 2008
San Rafael, Ca
hitter-

I think all could benefit from your explanation of how your process developed with Bustos will improve MLB hitters averages.

Please proceed.

I think in the meantime lots of emphasis on a girls overhand throw (even to the point of pitching overhand baseball like Bustos did) is extremely important.

Understanding how this throwing motion carries over to the swing is crucial.

In the case of MLB hitters, most have a very high level overhand throw (unlike fastpitch).

I doubt hitter has ANYTHING to offer that will get MLB hitters average up, BUT, let's here it, or just keep screwing around

Hitter

Banned
Dec 6, 2009
hitter-

I think all could benefit from your explanation of how your process developed with Bustos will improve MLB hitters averages.

Please proceed.

I think in the meantime lots of emphasis on a girls overhand throw (even to the point of pitching overhand baseball like Bustos did) is extremely important.

Understanding how this throwing motion carries over to the swing is crucial.

In the case of MLB hitters, most have a very high level overhand throw (unlike fastpitch).

I doubt hitter has ANYTHING to offer that will get MLB hitters average up, BUT, let's here it, or just keep screwing around

Tom use the ignore feature as I am for you and tell your buddies at HI about it.

They have all the answers and should know what could be done.

Tom, what university coaches or schools are you working with currently? Just curious? Travel teams? High schools? Students?

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Howard

When I went with you to the Wright State clinic, I found Coach Larabee to be a very dynamic person.

When he was speaking, my blood boiled, he fired me up. Some coach's just have a nack of doing that to there players.
Its a gift.

Straightleg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spinner55