Committed to Rec team, TB team having tryouts...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 24, 2012
I am the coach of a Rec league team, my DD is our only pitcher returning for the Fall season.
Just got word that the local travel ball team is having tryouts -

I have had to pick up six girls for the Fall season to fill my roster, so now I stand at 10.
This TB team is the only one on the actually city we live in and the one you would want to join if looking to go that route. However, due to the commitment made to the Fall team, are we obligated to stay? One other thing, we have not started practicing and won't for two more weeks.

This is one of those situations where the right thing for everyone else is to stay worth the rec team as committed, but this opportunity will not be here in the spring I would guess. Kind of a rock and a hard place.

Any suggestions?

Oct 3, 2009
I am the coach of a Rec league team, my DD is our only pitcher returning for the Fall season.
Just got word that the local travel ball team is having tryouts -

I have had to pick up six girls for the Fall season to fill my roster, so now I stand at 10.
This TB team is the only one on the actually city we live in and the one you would want to join if looking to go that route. However, due to the commitment made to the Fall team, are we obligated to stay? One other thing, we have not started practicing and won't for two more weeks.

This is one of those situations where the right thing for everyone else is to stay worth the rec team as committed, but this opportunity will not be here in the spring I would guess. Kind of a rock and a hard place.

Any suggestions?
You have 10 girls who are now counting on you. One option is to call the TB coach and be very clear about your current situation. Tell him you are obligated for this season but could your DD attend tryouts to get to know the team etc. If he allows it and your DD ends up liking the team use this year to groom a coaching staff that can takeover the following year.

You did not say what year your DD is but the one thing I have learned is there is about 50 ways to achieve your goals so sacrificing integrity is not required. In other words, your DD will clearly get alot of pitching time if she is your #1 with your rec team. So if she uses this year to really work hard and get ready for next year what has she really lost? And by preparing your coaches, team, and parents for the transition, you are doing things the right way and you set a great example for your DD.

Just my two cents.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2013
Welcome to the beginning world of travel ball, my friend.

Open tryouts mean very little. She may make it, she may not. You are kind of putting the cart before the horse. Don't decide to leave a commitment (rec team), until you have maneuvered all the ducks in a row for her next move.

Try this ... go to the tryout, and see if she makes the team. If she makes the team NOW, most probably they will want her in the spring. So then decide. It is entirely within reason to respond after making the team with "can we wait until spring to join?"

My DD, and she really is not the best ballplayer, has NEVER been to an open tryout. She gets invited to play for a team, usually a good team, and practices, possibly play a tourney for a "tryout". The travel community gets small and simple communication can get your DD from team to team.

Travel Code word for "open tryouts" ... we have the base set of players, and need a few more to fill out the outfield. Maybe even pick up a gem. Travel teams know who they want without tryouts. Talk to them, see if they are interested. A travel team tryout (not open) is having a new player in who the team thinks is worth a shot to see if she fits.

In short, talk to the travel team. Hit around with them, or even tryout. Then discuss your current obligations. If the travel team really wants her (will be a key part of the team) they will usually wait until after fall. If they won't wait, you are possibly just a "filler".

Another travel ball secret. A travel team has two really good players they have watched and want to recruit. They have two slots to fill. What do they do ... have "open" tryouts and have the two they want tryout, along with six other players. They pick the two they wanted in the first place. MAYBE one more. The only reason they had the tryout was so the others folks don't "complain" they were not allowed to tryout (given a fair chance). Little about travel softball is fair. It is an "inside" game, to understand, and hopefully master.

Communicate, evaluate ... then decide.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2012
Good points. Since writing this originally - I came up withy this same conclusion. Somewhat feel like a jerk for even thinking it at this point.. I will reach out to them and see what their opportunities are.

Jul 2, 2013
There are significant advantages to playing on a rec team. One is your DD can "pick-up" for a travel team to see the fit for a weekend.

Young travel teams like to keep their player numbers down (about 11). Often are faced with being a player short. Become known as an aspiring travel player (now in rec) who will drop everything on a "pick-up" call for travel teams.

Much like finding a job. Hit the dirt and network a little, with travel coaches. Go to a travel tournament you are not playing to get a feel for who is who.

Jul 2, 2013
A commitment should mean something! Its sad that this is even an issue.

They are just looking for advice, are new to the travel circuit, on how to handle opportunities that knock.

Opportunity knocks sometimes at inopportune times. When doors try to open, evaluate them fairly, and honestly. Make informed decisions. DO NOT close doors because you think you are COMMITTED ... evaluate. We have been on "committed" teams, and when the floodgates open, we almost were left as the last one standing without a team.

As I said early. Travel ball is not fair. Do your absolute best to be honest, and open, while keeping your cards close to the vest. One day the BEST opportunity will arrive, and you may be forced to break a commitment for her best interest.

In time, everyone understands, best when your good character is already established.

Last edited:
May 8, 2012
NJ
Idk...plenty of girls do rec and travel...don't have to just quit rec because of travel..we manage both. Thinking about it, i think this year travel cost is 2 rec practices and a game. Last year was a little worse schedule wise, but not too bad. Tryouts are the first part though

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1