College softball with a medical major?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
With nothing but love, aren't you a tad confused about priorities? You are letting the tail wag the dog.

1) You child wants to go to medical school.
2) In order to get into medical school, she will need excellent grades.
3) To get excellent grades, she will need to study.
4) In order to study, she needs a great deal of time.
5) Softball at the D2 or D1 level will consume a lot of time.
6) She will play softball for 4 years in college.
7) She will be a doctor for 40 years.

You make very good points, however the priorities are 100% academic. She's just looking for possibilities of having both... If it turns out the course load is too much to do both, I'm certain ball will take a back seat.

Oct 10, 2011
We've had several coaches say there's no way to do nursing or pre med while playing softball. One said no athletic training either. One D2 school said they really worked with the nursing students because it was one of the schools strongest programs.

Oct 17, 2014
I've worked at two mid-major D1 schools and one D2 school that made things work with athletes who wanted to pursue health sciences, including nursing. It's really up to the coaching staff if they want to deal with it. It's a way to get good kids who really want this option. It's really not that bad till junior and senior year, and at that point, you just know they aren't going to be there on certain days. They have to be willing to make up missed softball work on their own. Takes a dedicated person and hard-working person for sure.

Jul 25, 2015
Going PreMed at a PAC or SEC school might be pretty tough but I noticed that Dartmouth had 2 or 3 premed freshmen this year. MIT has pretty much all engineers on their team. Lots of the Army and Navy sports teams are majoring in engineering. Not saying it's easy but it's done all the time and maybe they only play a couple of years.

The Dartmouth softball coach is not academically friendly!

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
she didn't sound that way when she was the coach at Amherst. I'm shocked! Shocked I tell you to find there is softball at the top of the priority list at Dartmouth who happens to have a good medical school.

Feb 16, 2009
DD's D1 mid-major just had a player graduate from the nursing program and in 3 years (she had a # of AP/college credits going in from HS - DD has some as well which makes for 12 credit hours on the tough classes and usually one online just-in-case class compiling her semesters). This nursing student couldn't make a lot of the mid-week practices but could make most of the weekend games and ended up leaving the program batting close to .300. DD is a speech pathology major and the school has never had one go through the athletic program. It will be a challenge but there is summer or extra semester to get it done. You've got to ascertain if the program sees the recruits as student-athletes or athlete-students. Big difference. Top schools probably see the latter. We had visited a top-tier D1 program and found most of the girls were "family science" majors. WTH that was I have no idea but probably not transferrable to the real world.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clawdog