College scrimmages

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2011
When teams scrimmage in college, do they care about winning or is it really just to see what they have? Just got me wondering when DD said they are scrimmaging JMU in a couple weeks...

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Depends. We have a "reverse exposure tournament" in the St. Louis area. Teams play in this tournament to let potential recruits see their team but also to get some of the incoming players into games to see what they can do. It is a pretty neat tournament and the recruit players and parents can meet the players and parents on the team.

Oct 10, 2011
Depends. We have a "reverse exposure tournament" in the St. Louis area. Teams play in this tournament to let potential recruits see their team but also to get some of the incoming players into games to see what they can do. It is a pretty neat tournament and the recruit players and parents can meet the players and parents on the team.
That sounds really cool!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
When teams scrimmage in college, do they care about winning or is it really just to see what they have? Just got me wondering when DD said they are scrimmaging JMU in a couple weeks...

These scrimmages are like the week after Christmas - you get to check out all your shiny new toys and then figure out where they each fit on your existing favorite toy list.

Wins v Losses? IMO, playing up is a win-win situation even with losses as long as there are some positive take aways.

Oct 10, 2011
These scrimmages are like the week after Christmas - you get to check out all your shiny new toys and then figure out where they each fit on your existing favorite toy list.

Wins v Losses? IMO, playing up is a win-win situation even with losses as long as there are some positive take aways.
I like that analogy...hopefully her coaches like their new toys!! I'm a little nervous for them!

Mar 20, 2014
Northwest
Thanks for starting this thread. DD's TB team will be scrimmaging 6 different college teams over the next 6 weeks so I am really interested in the responses...

Oct 10, 2011
Thanks for starting this thread. DD's TB team will be scrimmaging 6 different college teams over the next 6 weeks so I am really interested in the responses...
I'll be watching a gold team scrimmage a D3 team Sunday. I know a lot of people on both teams so it's exciting.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
The biggest dog in the fight definitively does not want to lose. Such was the case a couple of years ago when Jake a lowly TB pitcher shutdown JUCO Chipola. She got an offer on the spot. Then history repeated itself when she was in the circle when Chipola played SC and it went 10 innings in Columbia. Chipola was thrilled but the SC staff were not happy campers. When my TB team beats a JUCO it is a rough week of practice for the college kids. We are happy if we can keep it close against a college team not get blown out. Make no mistake, at least one of those teams if not both are playing for keeps. :)

Apr 12, 2016
Minnesota
I think it depends on the teams and the coaches. The college teams like to play the freshmen to see what they have and won't necessarily have their "best" nine in the game. Everybody plays to win but from what I have seen the scrimmage is designed to be a little bit of recruiting paired with a good opportunity to play a good quality opponent. I know the TB girls love it. Our situation might be different than some because DD's TB coach has a very good relationship with the college coaches and the scrimmages seem fairly laid back and fun. Everyone is playing hard and to win but it is more showcase style so the TB players interested in the college get to show what they can do and the college coaches get to give the freshmen a lot of reps.

Mar 20, 2014
Northwest
Everyone is playing hard and to win but it is more showcase style so the TB players interested in the college get to show what they can do and the college coaches get to give the freshmen a lot of reps.

That's what we are hoping for. DD's TB coach has developed great relationships with these college coaches and I know that some of them are interested in some of our players (DD included). DD has been emailing with the coach of the team that we are playing tomorrow and she emailed him again last night to let him know how much she is looking forward to playing at the college tomorrow...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Char4eyes