College recruiting and where to start

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 25, 2018
My DD is currently on a 14u B team that will most likely be going A in Maryland. She is in her freshman year now. She pitches 59 mph, has a pretty good flip change, drop and drop curve. She plays outfield when not pitching and is a middle of the order decent contact hitter. She wants to play college. Any advice from the experts about the process for both her and I. Any advice appreciated.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
My DD is currently on a 14u B team that will most likely be going A in Maryland. She is in her freshman year now. She pitches 59 mph, has a pretty good flip change, drop and drop curve. She plays outfield when not pitching and is a middle of the order decent contact hitter. She wants to play college. Any advice from the experts about the process for both her and I. Any advice appreciated.

Lots of advice you can search for here, but there are two things:

1) Research colleges without considering softball. Sites such as college confidential allow you to put in bunches of criteria to pull out selected colleges that might be a first fit. Colege locations, size, setting, majors, leanings, reputation, cost, etc, etc should be WAY more important for 99% of players than softball. Make a top 10-15 list. Email the coaches, attend a virtual tour (or live tour if you are close).

2) An honest assessment of her potential level in college. It is no good aiming for Power5 D1 is you are not that player.

And the ride will change and chop and be a lot of fun (and stressful). What they think is for them at 13 will not be the same when they are 14 or 15... or tomorrow in some cases. Enjoy the journey!

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Make a target list of schools/programs that would fit her projected major. Consider all levels.
  • Take ownership of this process today.
  • Make sure the TB program has experience and past success with helping players get recruited.
  • Your DD needs to be a part of this process and please don't do all of it for her.
  • Fill out the recruiting questionaire on the team's site so she will get on their email list
  • Attend on campus camps or find the camps where those coaches will be.
  • Begin an email drip marketing plan.
  • Document your college coach touches.
  • Create a skill video and update yearly.
  • Make sure her skill set is in alignment with program. Be realisitc as this will save you money and sanity.
  • Make postcards with pictures, contact info and room for a hand written note.
  • Send weekend updates with videos.
  • As soon as the team's schedule has been posted, email to the coaches
  • This is a game of elimination. The faster you mark a school off of your list, the sooner you can focus on the other schools on the list.
  • Go visit the schools on your own time.
  • Get your finances in order-Fill out the EFC forms on the school's site to figure out what your out of pocket $$ will be. For schools that offer Athletic monies, I asked myself if DD can get 50% Athletic monies can I pay the other half.
  • Depending on the Division, your communications will be a one way conversation that will last for years.
  • https://nfca.org/pages/fastpitch-community use this to look at the all conferences.
  • Look at all the teams rosters, read bios, look at stats, look at the coaches. Know everything about the program.
  • Communicate with your team's coaches and recruiting coordinator which schools DD is targeting.
  • Have I said be realistic about your DD's projected skill set?
  • Make sure DD's team plays in real showcases.
  • As a parent, do something everyday that is softball recruiting related. This site has been extremely helpful.
There is a lot more but this should get your juices flowing.

Nov 18, 2013
If your description is accurate, the sky’s the limit. Get her on a much higher caliber team. Go out of state if you have to. The girls she’s with won’t challenge her and the coaches are holding her back.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Lots of advice you can search for here, but there are two things:

1) Research colleges without considering softball. Sites such as college confidential allow you to put in bunches of criteria to pull out selected colleges that might be a first fit. Colege locations, size, setting, majors, leanings, reputation, cost, etc, etc should be WAY more important for 99% of players than softball. Make a top 10-15 list. Email the coaches, attend a virtual tour (or live tour if you are close).

2) An honest assessment of her potential level in college. It is no good aiming for Power5 D1 is you are not that player.

And the ride will change and chop and be a lot of fun (and stressful). What they think is for them at 13 will not be the same when they are 14 or 15... or tomorrow in some cases. Enjoy the journey!

This could help the OP (or even other parents starting this search): How exactly should one figure out #2? Let's say a parent is perfectly objective about their DD's ability. This isn't a rose-colored glasses parent. How do you really know what level your kid is likely to succeed at? For most people, the only college softball they see on TV are those Power 5 teams (and often only the top 10% of those teams).

Last edited:

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Along with t.b. showcasing,
Getting recruited is 98% the player reaching out to colleges.
Emails, Resume, video, phone calls.
Let them know your name and are interested.

Go to Camps at priority colleges on your list also.

Nov 18, 2013
This could help the OP (or even other parents starting this search): How exactly should one figure out #2? Let's say a parent is perfectly objective about their DD's ability. This isn't a rose-colored glasses parent. How do you really know what level your kid is likely to succeed at? For most people, they only college softball they see on TV are those Power 5 teams (and often only the top 10% of those teams).

Go to camps of schools and different levels and of differing competitiveness. You’ll see her next to other kids aspiring to play at that level. Keep an eye on who the HC talks to and you’ll see the kids they’re recruiting.

Attending camps is a great way to get a feel for the programs and visit campus’s. There’s huge differences even within the same level.

Nov 30, 2018
Marikina, Philippines

Well as a former D1 coach and recruiting coordinator I would say that 59mph is exceptional for 14U. My guess is normal would be 51-55 for that age level. Does she throw consistently at 59 or once in a while? And where did you get the number? As for pitch variety, don't let those three pitches get away from her. You can give up twice as many base hits at times throwing at the bottom as giving up extra bases at the top. In 1990 the average D1 college speed was 59. Of course that is probably more like 63 now. As some point she can start to develop a riseball, but just as important as any pitch is how to use them; mixing and setting up the batter. You can have an elephant gun in your closet but if you can't shoulder it, you have an elephant gun in your closet.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
@Softball fan dad. I see that you posted some videos of your DD back in May. Did she pick up 6 mph in 5 months? You said she was pitching around the 53 or so. If so, that would be phenomenal. As mentioned before by myself and others, she needs to be on a team that competes against the best in your area especially if she is ambitious. Looks like she is taking pitching lessons. Usually those coaches have a pretty good insight into college recruiting. I know a kid that just transferred to Maryland from an Ivy school for one last year of eligibility. I think she is pitching right around 60 mph or so at least that was what she told me the last time I talked with her.

https://www.discussfastpitch.com/threads/14u-video-analysis.38925/

Jul 22, 2015
This could help the OP (or even other parents starting this search): How exactly should one figure out #2? Let's say a parent is perfectly objective about their DD's ability. This isn't a rose-colored glasses parent. How do you really know what level your kid is likely to succeed at? For most people, they only college softball they see on TV are those Power 5 teams (and often only the top 10% of those teams).
The best answer is to pick out at least a couple of schools at each level in your target area and stay in contact with them

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13