Cold weather pitching help

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 16, 2019
Just got done with tourney today, high of 37 degrees. First time girls played in cold weather. My pitchers had an awful game, they just were not the same pitchers. Does cold effect that much or just an off game for both pitchers. They were dressed right

Apr 12, 2015
What age group? Did they wear hoodies? I found that hoodies wreck havoc on young pitchers if they are not used to them.

Apr 28, 2016
Disclaimer: we live in south GA, so cold is a relative concept. However we have played in some tournaments where the early morning and late evening temps have been in the 40s.

DD is a pitcher. She decided in the first tournament that she can’t pitch in sleeves, so she wears her short sleeve jersey while in the circle regardless of temp. She also has a condition where her pitching hand turns purple (crayon purple) while pitching in the cold. The whipping action can make her hand/fingers hurt (like a rubber band) as well. Her solution has been to take one of the larger-sized hand warmers to the circle and go to it between pitches in the same way she would a rosin bag. She holds it longer than the rosin bag, obviously, but she hasn’t run into any issues with umpires (other than them thinking she is crazy for not wearing a sweatshirt or at least an undershirt.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mar 22, 2019
Illinois
Just got done with tourney today, high of 37 degrees. First time girls played in cold weather. My pitchers had an awful game, they just were not the same pitchers. Does cold effect that much or just an off game for both pitchers. They were dressed right

My DD also sucks it up in the cold. I think it has more to do with where her focus is. If you think cold, cold, cold then its hard to pitch with focused effort. I would also add that they call it pregame "warm ups" or "warming up the bullpen" for a reason. Blood flow and circulation are a big deal.

Jul 14, 2018
My DD loves to pitch when it's hot. She had her best day as a pitcher last July on a 96-degree day: in back-to-back games she threw nine innings and gave up one hit, no walks, struck out eight. Early season here in the Northeast, and she's had a bumpy April. Her best game has been -- surprise! -- at an indoor tournament that we played. So in my experience, the cold does make a difference.

Not that it's worked particularly well, but DD wears a couple of layers, Under Armour, a heartguard shirt, sometimes leggings under her uniform pants. She always keeps a handwarmer in her back pocket and holds her hand there whenever possible in the circle. She has one of those hand rolls that you see NFL quarterbacks wear, but she won't wear one on the field and I have to bug her to use it in the dugout. Her biggest complaint is that she has trouble gripping the ball. She has a gorilla grip towel in her bag, and I encourage her to just dab it with her fingertips when she has trouble, but she finds it too tacky. Maybe have your pitchers give it a try on the next cold day.

Feb 16, 2019
Thanks guys, they had goodies and the little hand warmers and under layers on. Does anyone have a link for like the football handwarmers? One is my daughter, I personally think it's just something they have to get use to and suck it up. It was there first time playing in cold weather. I was just hoping that's why they wereally both off that day

Dec 15, 2012
DD definitely struggles in cold weather (reduced velocity and movement in weather <~45 degrees) Cold weather is not something we typically see where we live so I believe this is part of the issue. Somethings that she does that help. 1). Get good cold weather gear! Recommend Under Armor as it’s light weight and works. 2). BODY Warmers (oversized hand warmers) help between innings to keep your hands warm. 3). Ear warmers to help retain body heat. 4). If it’s extremely cold, she will also use a coat or sweatshirt between innings.

Things that ai have considered but have not tried........ 1). practicing pitching with a bucket of cold water (some NFL QBs do this). 2) Practicing pitching in early AM before school to mimic cold weather games.

I’d love to hear some additional thoughts. Especially from warm weather pitchers that travel to colder weather locations!!!

May 14, 2015
Bismarck ND
Up here in ND keeping warm is key. UA makes a baselayer long underwear stuff that is fantastic. Expensive but worth it. Giant grips gloves stuffed with hand warmers in between innings. Nike thermal waist hand warmer in the field. UA facemask for head ears and neck. Can still wear mask!

Apr 28, 2014
Cold is bad.. DD finally figured out how to get it done (she's 15). Wet and cold is even worse. You need to get them used to throwing in the cold. We have been working on that during the winter. Also, obvious things under armor, pocket warmers, feet warmers and bundling up after every half inning.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi